Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Practicality of grooves/funks

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Lumberjack
road raged psycho

Post by Lumberjack »

Hi guys, I was thinking of making something like this:

pic1
pic2
pic3
(from this thread)

How practical is this idea? I think its true that there are only so many grooves that can be used, but can I used controlled spinning funks to replicate the movement of the small wheels? How many slots for funks are there?

LJ
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Hmm...

Never tried sticking a moving track on a wheel that is steerable, not sure if the funk would still be moving in the direction of the vehicle or the direction of the steerable wheel.. (If I make any sense whatsoever)

I know this is not answering your question but it just crossed my mind.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Lumberjack
road raged psycho

Post by Lumberjack »

Oh yes that is true I hadn't thought about that. Well I'll give it a try anyway. Doesn't matter if it doesn't work, I can always just go back to regular wheels I guess. But this will be my first model in ages so I'm going to keep it simple :D
I wanted to get a heads up first though on whether it should be possible. Maybe I'll have to do some reading instead... I know I should 'use the search' haha.
To refresh, my question basically was:
Can I make a controlled spinning funk for the small wheels at the bottom of the tracks?
Or- are there enough groove slots for all of them? Whats the maximum grooves I can use.. I think its 8?
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

hm, the limit is either 8 or even 6. I don't know if you can have 4 driven wheels, you see?

what people normally do is attach the non driven wheels in one object, that way you can fake the two wheels spinning with just one groove, but in your case this isn't possible because they steer too...

I sould suggest not to make those tiny things spin. I mean, who would see it. Make it a texture that is uniform all round. I would only make the big wheel rotate.

About the tracks, I would make sense they would move according to the model they are on, I think I had seen this with some tests for my SMARTMOVE model, so that will probably go right.

It is a nice experiment with grooves. A spinning groove for the frontwheels, a moving funk for the tracks and a pivot for the whole group. That is the way to do it guess.
Lumberjack
road raged psycho

Post by Lumberjack »

Thanks Harmalarm that's what I was thinking yes. I think I will have fun with this one. I still think I can make the tiny wheels spin with funks, but I want to know if controlled spinning funks are possible? Its been ages since I've edited carma.
Maybe there are tutorial pages somewhere that I can dig up. I know I have one lot saved for grooves. My memory needs to be refreshed on the whole thing.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

This car is fully possible to create for the C2 engine given you use funks for the treads.
I don't think there's a limit for grooves or funks (General Lee has 16 grooves and the Sor BN12 bus has 15 grooves / 8 funks... Harm's SmartMove has 25......). But I think there is a limit in groovyfunkrefs though.
Here this setup shares the same groovyfunkrefs several times and when you look at it, you see it's possible to optimize the groove/funk hierarchy here and there.
Funks can be controlled yes. C1 used them instead of grooves at times (C1 hates when both grooves and funks are used on a same car, never tried flic+groove though).
About the grooves, don't forget it's a combination of several beheaviours: rendering, lollipop, path and selfanimation. So it's possible to achieve more complex "mechanics" (and thus save groove slots/refs) when you can combine them all to fit your design.

However, don't forget all these are made of actors and it's getting more complex than a normal C2 car, I hope you're ready to fiddle a bit with coords and pivots (to do it properly).

I thought you were going to start with something simple :uho: :lol:
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Lumberjack
road raged psycho

Post by Lumberjack »

Hi Tosh, yes I was going to start with something simple. But I like a challenge. I'm not going to make a complex model. Just the wheels will be complex ;)
Supposing I have 'forgotten' what you talked about, where can I find some more extensive reference to the car.txt file? For instance I have extra notes of my own here, but I don't know all the different options for each line of funks and grooves. I'll update my own notes on that once I know, as I like to have a simple reference to look at.
Your first paragraphs reassures me, I could use grooves for the tiny wheels then. Might still go with funks though, we'll see.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Well, to be honest I think people like Harm or me do it instinctively. Not sure there is any complete reference, but the funk and groove parts in C2S' track making tutorial are a good start.
Another good way is to look at other cars' txt file, esp. the ones we talked about. I suggest this actually.

And ofcourse don't hesitate to ask for help here. We can explain it directly once you get there and have your components ready. I don't have time this week to get into details with grooves though.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Lumberjack
road raged psycho

Post by Lumberjack »

Heh, I see, TSS has the answers I need then :o I never made tracks so I didn't realise all the funks and grooves would be the same. C2S tutorial looks quite good on that, should be useful. Ta.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Wait, i remember some kind of snow plow for C2 which had such wheels..not sure.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

TTR wrote:Wait, i remember some kind of snow plow for C2 which had such wheels..not sure.

https://maccarpocalypse.cwaboard.co.uk/C2add_page1.html

https://maccarpocalypse.cwaboard.co.uk/C2add_page2.html

All over at Coffey's site, I doubt they use grooves+funks in ways that you're thinking, they're probably using funks for the tracks but with unsteerable wheels.

I haven't tried the vehicles myself.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Yes! i ment that SnoCat! Anyways i got a few tracked vehicles too, actually LJ helped me with the first one, ironically :lol:
Lumberjack
road raged psycho

Post by Lumberjack »

That Sno-Cat has the right sort of thing, I'll investigate that. Once I actually install C2/CarEd/PT2 that is, at the moment I've got as far as installing XP and then installing C1. I got stuck on the playing C1 stage at the moment ;) its been many years since I played C1. Fun!

Check who’s online