Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

DD22C2TC

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

in order to play using hamachi you can download the latest hamachi. Simpley create a new server, or use the server Toshiba has made for carmageddon 2.

http://devwam.toshiba-3.com/viewtopic.php?id=352

once the you are logged into this server, and your friend are too. Simply launch the carmaUDP launcher, select the hamachi internal IP in the local IP adres (usually starts with 5.xx.xx.xxx), and click on autodetect.
Launch the game by pressing Play, start a multiplayer server and wait for players to connect.
All joining players also need to change the local IP and need to press autodetect. If all went well, people should be able to see you now. Once players have connected to your game you are able to launch the game.

Players should already be able to see eachother on the hamachi network interface, should be able to chat there and ping each other.

let me know how it runs.

I'll check out the gravity settings as you suggested.

oh and that steering wheel yeah, it looks stupid I know, but this often happens to grooves like the steering wheel... I don't think there is much I can do about it actually...
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Thanks for the guide, I tests it out someday :)
Also the steering wheel is np, just find it funny when cars are spinning around in the air with their sterring wheel beeing outside the car :D
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

One more visual bug:

Take group 8/9, drive Chalk Cannyon. The display is here wrong. It shows 1/2 x/10. Guess first number is meant for number of cars, the other for laps, however there are over 20 cars in the race ;)
A little visual bug only :)

Also:
Is it possible to tweak the AI cars to use fully upgraded cars in tier 9/10?
Doritos
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Doritos »

@ Harmalarm: no the bumper stuck to the ground happend during a normal race, i was a few laps in hitting opponents and such and i accedentally some how got up on top of one of them rode his back a short distance and when my car finaly slid off it wouldnt move so i reset... I was using the learner Car 37
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

I have added the new launcher, with thanx to Toshiba! The launcher is a replacement of the carmaUDP and UDPmasterserver executable. I know re-downloading the whole package is annoying but it's best.

I have also been checking the gravity settings, and indeed a gravity of 1.25 seems better than 1.5 for the current car settings, so I set that fixed too.

I have also been working on a new car pack! Destruction derby 1 simple cars!

[nmg]img96.imageshack.us/img96/4918/dd1car3.jpg[/nmg]

Each car will have three texture stages for damage settings. The new cars are still under construction, but I have added one car to the current mod install for you guys to play with. The cars do not really fit the dd2 cars, so I am not sure whether I will put them together in one game or keep them as seperate car packs...

[nmg]img532.imageshack.us/img532/9828/95dd1car.jpg[/nmg]

@dudleif

[quote]Take group 8/9, drive Chalk Cannyon. The display is here wrong. It shows 1/2 x/10. Guess first number is meant for number of cars, the other for laps, however there are over 20 cars in the race[/quote]

actually, this first number is the number of checkpoints in the race. I am using two checkpoints, one at the starting line and one halfway the lenght of the track to prevent cheating. Added removal of this checkpoint display on my to do list :D

@doritos

I guess this happens sometimes due to the games engine then... Resetting the car helps for a lot of these issues. I doesn't happen too often I suppose?
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

This is absolutely great!
Now.., what's the max grid size in the game? ;p

I know you is done with the tracks, but if you find the time I has this question: Is there some easy way for you to just make the tracks longer/bigger to support higher speeds (with upgraded cars) but making the tracks more narrow? At the moment specially the Speedway track and some others feels a little bit wide, and with upgraded cars the tracks gets too smal again ;p

I know it's a pain in the ass, and the track is great as they are now, but if you find time and motivation this is something you might can take a look on :)

Thanks for clearing out the display thing :)

Now the question stands, will the creater of this masterpice settle down with this, or will he go all out converting the DD1 tracks aswell? ;)
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

hehe, well changing the tracks is just not an option. I don't have the time, but neither the motivation to do so. I think the width of the tracks is great this way.

What might help your specific needs is changing the camera angle in the general.txt. Changing it from 55 to for example 70. This will give you seemingly more speed.

[nmg]img535.imageshack.us/img535/3987/cameraangles.jpg[/nmg]

about the dd1 tracks; I am tinkering with the idea of doing them, but I have to keep myself reserved here. my fingers are itching though :D Who know, I make no promises.
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Nice, I'll do the camera angle change =)

Just wait, I'll make you do it when this is final and you'll hear the great respons of people ;)

Edit: Tried FOV80, damn it's much better! Also it looks better on my wide screen, the speed feels so much better.

One thing, did you tweak the difficoulity of the AI's, they seems to endure more now, and I like it :D

Also uploading a beta video now on youtube before going to bed, I'll update you tomorrow :)

EDIT: Test video up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPppLTF6dC4
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

hah! good to see movies showing up! The camera indeed seems to be very good! :o I played with the angle a while back but didn't like it for some reason. However in your movie, the angle gives the game a LOT of speed! This will be good advertising too!

I noticed in the movie the white dots of the invisible wall are really present :s I will definitely have to edit that.

I've been working on the dd1 cars today and finished all the skins. Each car with three texture stages of damage.

[nmg]img405.imageshack.us/img405/2272/dd1cars.jpg[/nmg]

The colour of the roofs is the division level in the original game. It would be cool to edit the strenght of each car per division.

I also believe there are three more hidden vehicles in the game but I wasn't able to find them anywhere yet. ( I have to find a savegame which has them unlocked )
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Yeah, going all out upgraded car is like the DD2 game, too fast :p

That's great mate! How will they be implented? I think you have to do the DD1 tracks now ;) xP

They look stunning!
However.. I did not know of secret cars, I know there was a secret track, but that's it =)
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

well, I found three artifact car side images that indicate there are three more cars. But they don't show up in the game so I cannot get the rest of the carbody textures :(

[nmg]img175.imageshack.us/img175/9957/str0006.png[/nmg]

[nmg]img227.imageshack.us/img227/5554/str0005.png[/nmg]

[nmg]img541.imageshack.us/img541/6871/str0004.png[/nmg]

btw, I changed the camera angle from 80 to 75, seemed a bit less extreme to me. However, people can change it the way they like off course. I will set it default to 75.
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Strange... Not seen those pictures before..
Ok, I think 75 is a ballance, as 80 was a little extreme.

Will the DD1 cars have the same features as the DD2 cars, with breakable windows and such?
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

not planning on that right now. I want to keep them simple first. I can alter them to more realistic like the dd2 cars, so we can mix them in one mod, but this will take extra time.

I like how the interior of the car becomes more visible with a different camera angle :)
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

You got to love the random things that can occure :p

Hokay, then let it stay as it is now :) Maybe do a launcher thingy "DD2 cars / DD1 cars" ?

Wish I knew how to make tracks and such, could have /want to assist but have no skills :(
Jon606
hit n run

DD22C2TC

Post by Jon606 »

Hey everyone; my first post here, although you should recognise me from CWABoard (and for Dudleif, LFSForum).

Harm: This is absolutely incredible. I've never been this excited for any C2 add-on/mod since... well, since I first discovered Freddy's S.O.D. Total Conversion a few years back. I've downloaded it, but haven't got around to playing on it yet. However, since I'm now on study leave, I'm going to start playing later on today, and probably won't stop! :lol:

I've got a suggestion though, regarding the cars.

Ever since the Live For Speed DD2 skinpack was released (found here) I always wanted to see the unique opponents from each game in the other one, i.e. from DD1, 22 Crunch Bunch, 23 Idol, 95 Tax Man and 99 Doctor as DD2 cars, and from DD2, 00 Master, 17 Pro, 42 Chief and 99 Rivet as DD1 cars.

I think that with your creativity Harm, you would be able to do these. Maybe even release them as extra add-ons? If you feel that it might be a bit too much then you don't have to do this; the mod will still be awesome regardless of whether or not this happens.

Keep up the good work! :D
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

DD22C2TC

Post by Razor »

Great work on the DD1 cars, Harm. And those three textures are some great finds.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Jon - are you with me testing the LAn function tomorrow morning? It has not been tested much I think, and it could need some look on :)

12mbit/1mbit line here, hopefully your is juicy enough to deliver a flowing game :)
Jon606
hit n run

DD22C2TC

Post by Jon606 »

[quote=Dudleif]Jon - are you with me testing the LAn function tomorrow morning? It has not been tested much I think, and it could need some look on :)

12mbit/1mbit line here, hopefully your is juicy enough to deliver a flowing game :)[/quote]
I don't think my line will be able to deliver a flowing game unfortunately; it's wireless, so that'll screw it up a bit.

@ Harm, regarding the 3 extra cars: are these meant to be the cars you could select in a 2-player mode?
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

3 things.

1: Are there some ways to get the AI's to reset if they fall on roof? Since the game doesn't waste / count out cars on roof like in DD2 it kind of kills the purpose having them on roof when it does nothing :) For example I were driving CC, 15 cars on roof. Sure, it was cool, but the race got lonely since the cars did not reset and I was running around almost alone on track.

2: Go to options txt. file, search for YON. Increase that to.. let's say 500. Congratulation - you now have full veiw range, and doesn't need to wait for the track to build up on the screen as you are driving it. It requires some more computer power, but for the visual look it looks way better IMO.

3: Played around with the difficoulity, as I think the AI computer is to easy, specially in the later tier/classes. Try this in races.txt:
// DEFAULT PARAMETERS

21 // Default number of opponents in first race
21 // Default number of opponents in last race
0.5,0.0 // Softness,hardest rank of opponents in first race
0.5,0.0 // Softness,hardest rank of opponents in last race
1.0 // Opponent nastiness influencer for first race

Basically the first race is the same as before, but the computer will endruance more beating in last race compared to before. Their softness factor were 3.

I have actually managed to be wrecked with fully upgraded car now =)

Now the question is.. which factor defines how much upgraded the AI cars are? IMO they should be MAX'ed in last races.

EDIT!:
Solution for reseting AI cars:
Well, the Yon and AI resetting is sticked togheter. As long as you see the AI, it won't do shit, but the second it's out of sight, or yon, it's reseting and such. Sollution..meh.. you canot have max yon.. so, try Yon=70 in options value. More veiw range, but at least the AI does not get stupidly stucked :)
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

@john606

Thank! Yes I have thought about this too, the missing dd1 cars in dd2 and vice versa. I noticed the textures of both games are pretty similar so perhaps this doesn't prove much work at all, but I need to check this to be sure. I need to check so much... :D

@dudleif

1 and 2. nope... Only setting the YON back might cause players to get out of view and respawn quicker. I also set back the YON to make the mod look more like dd2, plus it looks better in some cases like in Chalk Canyon. With a high Yon you can clearly see the tracks higher area from below... kind of ugly

3. The opponents nastiness is now set up when you get to the races in the last groups. The softness and hardness are selectors I think. This means that when the Cars are set up with a hardness of type 3, the race will start to choose type 3 cars quicker. I didn't figure it made any difference for the cars, but if you say you got wasted quicker this is good news. I already thought the cars are to weak to begin with...
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Thanks for your reply.

I am currently testing, and it seems the softness factor is somewhat.. a handicap factor.. I have no clue, but setting it 0.0,0.0 seems to make them endure more. Even if the changes are marginal it.. well I think it's some difference.

What you say about the Yon is correct. However I think you are too hard on yourself :p Those dots in sky is noticeable yes, but not a game breaking feature.. haha, even called it a feature, but point is - it's not that bad :)

A other thing, is is possible to have more than 18 cars in ovals/arenas, or is it like the races - crashes if more? Also, the start position has a problem. Half of the races my front/back starts under the ground =)

And a bug that has starter appearing is that when you finish the race - the game crash. What kind of information do you need here to be usefull? The crash adresse, all those 001100's?
Jon606
hit n run

DD22C2TC

Post by Jon606 »

[quote=Harmalarm]Thank! Yes I have thought about this too, the missing dd1 cars in dd2 and vice versa. I noticed the textures of both games are pretty similar so perhaps this doesn't prove much work at all, but I need to check this to be sure. I need to check so much... :D[/quote]
Cheers for that Harm. There's a typo with one of the driver's names: 53 should be Barmy Army, not Barby Army. Also, I was wondering: how on earth are you meant to unlock the 3 #02 cars in DD1?
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

@john606

ah, thanks for pointing that out.
About those #2 cars... I have no idea :s. It's real weird, your point about multiplayer mode sounded good. There is an option to link two PlayStation together and probably within this multi player option the second skins appear. But unfortunately I cannot mimic this PlayStation behavior. I have just one machine...

@dudleif

you can have more opponents in the ovals, but they will not start at the specific positions. They will stay in the standard racing grid. The game uses specific opponents for the specific positions and can only handle 18 of them.
The fact that you are stuck in the ground is because the car is put on a slope area. The game uses the center of gravity of a car as the origin and place that on the map. So the stuff below this gravity point is within the ground when you are on a slope. Hope that makes sense.
There is nothing I can do about that, neither about the starting grid bug... :S

About the crash after race; does it occur allways? or only on specific tracks?

by the way, dudleif, are you using the UDP integrated launcher? And if so, does the keyboard work and the sound? I fucked up the exe yesterday morning, Toshiba fixed it, and I re-uploaded the whole thing. But seeing you are totally on this topic you might have downloaded the bugged version. Just so you know ;)
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Haha, well, I just am subsribed to this topic, so this + gmail notifyer let me know the second you reply :p Well now I am drunk so not much testing going on ... but MEH back topic ugh ugh!

I'll download the whole thing again, just to be sure :p The crash was not bound to any tracks or certain behaviours, but one thing seemed to trigger it - either when you crash or the second before a big hit with a other car / wall.

Thanks for clearing out the flaws on the arenas, not much you can do with the arsed game codes in Carmageddon 2 :D

About the multiplayer cars, if you managed to find the side pannels, that means the rest of the textures it stored somewhere within the DD1's data files. However, getting it out in a format you can work with could be a pain in the ass.. Don't know how PS link'ed feature was solved on PC.. LAN or directly connected computers? I have no clue, and not in my current condition now lol sorry!

Harm, how fast is your line, does it work for multiplayer testing? And how much does Carma use of the line anyway (use netlimiter or similar to monitoring the traffic)?
Jon606
hit n run

DD22C2TC

Post by Jon606 »

:mad:
Downloaded DD22C2TC, attempted to play it and got the BRender: Front Screen error.
fffuuu.jpg
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

Are you using a glide wrapper?
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Try using the setup I use and see if it works :) :

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/8307/configs.jpg

FFS why can't I make a picture that is shown, instead of linked, tried every command there is :(
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

DD22C2TC

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Jon's most probably using a glide wrapper else he would get a "couldn't reference image glide2x" error message. That's an annoying bug and I don't remember what really causes it and how to solve it. (I removed the FU- pic btw).

@Dudleif: the settings you are using aren't good. Esp. the positive LOD bias, it makes the textures blurier.
Here's a post explaining the best config for C2.

Also the image tag is disactivated by default, not sure how people like hazardic and Jon figured the other tag out. Admins use this tag to display pics in news or in necessary posts. Linked pics are as effective as displayed ones.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Thanks for the clearance mate, regarding settings and immages :)
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

I just cannot stop myself...

[nmg]img710.imageshack.us/img710/6119/dd1speedway3.jpg[/nmg]

This is the speedway track of destruction derby one off course... More to come, but right now it's time to leave the computer a while before my eyes become square and my fingers fall off...
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Awesome, I knew it lol!
Jon606
hit n run

DD22C2TC

Post by Jon606 »

[quote=Toshiba]Jon's most probably using a glide wrapper else he would get a "couldn't reference image glide2x" error message.[/quote]
...the strange thing is, zeckensack somehow got uninstalled off my PC :errr:
Reinstalled now and will use the settings you gave to Dudleif; also apologies about embedding the image and Harm: Speedway looks awesome! Do you know about the alternate versions of the tracks?
EDIT: Still coming up with the error message... great. Might uninstall my existing C2 installation and see if that does anything to help.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

[quote]EDIT: Still coming up with the error message... great. Might uninstall my existing C2 installation and see if that does anything to help.[/quote]

that will not help. You do know the mod is a single install? No need to put it over any c2 installation or anything. When you have the glide wrapper installed and the mod extracted to a folder of you choice it should allready work.

You could also try to use Nglide?
Jon606
hit n run

DD22C2TC

Post by Jon606 »

[quote=Harmalarm]that will not help. You do know the mod is a single install? No need to put it over any c2 installation or anything. When you have the glide wrapper installed and the mod extracted to a folder of you choice it should allready work.

You could also try to use Nglide?[/quote]
I just noticed that it said "TC". facepalm.jpg
I've had this problem before with the original C2, and I really don't want it again.
I'll try NGlide, but zeckensack's has always worked for me.
EDIT: I tried dgVoodoo instead... and it works! Let's go play this! :D
Jon606
hit n run

DD22C2TC

Post by Jon606 »

Apologies for double posting, but I've been playing this all night, and can safely say that it was bloody amazing. Sure, it might have just been a beta, but it mostly didn't feel like it was unfinished. Caprio County Raceway, Chalk Canyon & Pine Hills Raceway were the best in my opinion.

Good points:
+ Detail on the cars, drivers, tracks and the damage was great
+ In the Stock Car Racing levels, the cars raced more often than just hanging about on the sides
+ AI Cars attacked other opponents with the same aggression as if they were attacking your car
+ Caprio County Raceway in particular felt like a really well-designed "convert"
+ The infamous Chalk Canyon Passage was practically and a carbon copy, and before you ask; yes, cars did get stuck and wrecked in it!

Bad points:
- Liberty City kept crashing on me, with a "carma2_hw.exe has crashed"-type message and I don't know why. Plus, on the first bend (leading into the construction area) the screen kept jerking, which was quite annoying
- There were points on the tracks where the car would get caught, or in the worst case scenario, wasted (this happened once on Pine Hills)
- Felt a bit slow compared to what the original DD2 was like (then again, I couldn't control the original DD2 so maybe that's a plus!)

Nitpicking (Annoyance points):
* What's with the multi-coloured dots in the sky on some tracks? Is this the previously-stated "invisible wall" problem?
* Black Sail Valley's description is the same as Liberty City's when it shouldn't be, plus the last checkpoint for Black Sail is in the middle of the crossover
* The DD1 car (95 The Tax Man) doesn't have an interface image nor a "status car" (the little car at the bottom of the screen when switching between targets)

Hopefully you'll take these on board and improve the T/C.

Keep it up Harm; this is epic and so will be the finished product!

P.S. This might be of assistance for the DD1 tracks.

Check who’s online