Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

DD22C2TC

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Nice! :D Looks clean and good!
Frito
pedestrian

DD22C2TC

Post by Frito »

Very nice :-)
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

DD22C2TC

Post by Razor »

Nice work there.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

Things are growing a bit more silent these days. I've been busy with the job-hunting and had a little vacation so there isn't much news on the dd2 front.

I did however do the final text editing for the two dd1 tracks I have, the speedway and the bowl. Both are now implemented in the mod.

[nmg]img69.imageshack.us/img69/6517/dd1speedwaydone.jpg[/nmg]

[nmg]img266.imageshack.us/img266/6959/dd1bowldone.jpg[/nmg]

I will be working on the checklist from now on, and will be putting up a new release very soon. Just to little time to do it today. ;)

harmalarm out! :shotgun:
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

One word, nice! Take your time needed mate :)
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

hehe, I lied! I could not resist doing this track first! 5 hours in the making! I made the Crossroad track a little darker as it plays in dusk. Opponents seem to drive fine between the narrow walls. It is all a matter of setting the right opponent path width

[nmg]img706.imageshack.us/img706/8987/crossroadsf.jpg[/nmg]

[nmg]img208.imageshack.us/img208/4262/crossroads2.jpg[/nmg]
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Haha, that's great :D
Can't wait to put my hands on this :)
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

I'm on a roll here!

[nmg]img684.imageshack.us/img684/7340/oceandrive2.jpg[/nmg]

[nmg]img684.imageshack.us/img684/6559/oceandrive.jpg[/nmg]
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Nice ;D
I think the walls will turn out to be a great way to suicide due to their solid nature :p
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

DD22C2TC

Post by Razor »

Good work, Harm.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

DD22C2TC

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Are those trees sprites as well?
How is the far landscape generated? 3D or sprites here and there (i.E the lighthouse there). Using the yon multiplier too? Oh wait... maybe you faked distance?

Nice job btw, your mod is getting monster sized.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

[quote]Are those trees sprites as well?
How is the far landscape generated? 3D or sprites here and there (i.E the lighthouse there). Using the yon multiplier too? Oh wait... maybe you faked distance?[/quote]

yes, the trees, peds and lighthouse in the back are sprites. The far distance is the horizon, and the watercolour slides over in the colour of the bg. ;) just as in the original game. And yes, the mod is getting monstersized, damn

I finished the Cactus Creek this afternoon, a lovely track with a couple of crossovers where you are bound to hit some ai cars!

[nmg]img191.imageshack.us/img191/5117/cactuscreek.jpg[/nmg]

now for the city heat and the bonus track. Should not take long anymore...

I have been busy busy busy lately, not much time on my hands to do anything on the mod, except for today of course. ;) But no worries, I'm still extremely motivated and take the time I can find to finish this baby.
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Weehey, good to hear! :D

One consern tho - are ther a way to prevent the AI drivers from driving backwards on the track? Sure, driving a little backward is cool, but on many of the tracks the AI cars rather chose to go backwards than forward xD

Also, I think I came in my pants after watching that picture.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

City Heat done!

[nmg]img266.imageshack.us/img266/6755/cityheat2.jpg[/nmg]

[nmg]img85.imageshack.us/img85/3816/cityheat.jpg[/nmg]

I made the lantarn lights as bright as possible, but unfortunately the full lit trick does not work on non-preprocessed tracks... :(

One more to go... :p
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

:D !
Then it's the lovely physics and bugs physics ;p
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

DONE! What a day off can do to a mod's progress... :p

The bonus Ruined Monestary track

[nmg]img231.imageshack.us/img231/4541/monestary.jpg[/nmg]

Now that all tracks and cars are done, it's time to move back to the gameplay and checklist.

[quote]One consern tho - are ther a way to prevent the AI drivers from driving backwards on the track? Sure, driving a little backward is cool, but on many of the tracks the AI cars rather chose to go backwards than forward xD[/quote]

this is a serious problem indeed and I have not found a way to fix it yet. I thought it might have to do with the path settings, but after playing with them the opponents still randomly drive backwards or in the wrong direction... :( I'm not sure this is fixable
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

:D

Are there no way to make more checkpoints on the track? I think the main problem is that the AI choses the shortest way to the CP, meaning driving backwards is faster.

Also on CC and other tracks you can see cars spawning on the start/finish straight. Very fun to drive out of the corner, down the road then BAM!!!!!!! something spawned on your di.. I mean hood :D

Please make an update to the mod we can download and test. Now it's time for some serious bug fixing, I'll do my best to sort out things that occurs and explain how to reproduce them / what the error itself does.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

Time for a new Beta release, hopefully the last before the final deal!

[h]DD2C2TC - BETA 2[/h]

The new version includes;
  • Destruction derby 1 cars
  • Destruction derby 1 tracks
  • Launcher with dd1 or dd2 car switch (thanks to Toshiba)
  • new menu images
  • a lot of fixed done on the previous release
Download - Extract - make sure you have a Glide wrapper - Play - Report bugs!!!
Jon606
hit n run

DD22C2TC

Post by Jon606 »

Played this for about half an hour last night; very very good so far. Just a few problems I've noticed:

- If you hit a car in the door, the top of the car changes to the grade colour
- Are Trashman and Barmy Army meant to have white and pink roofs?

Will give some more tomorrow when I have time to play it more.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

DD22C2TC

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I tested the new beta. Encountered a few crashes/freezes. Didn't notice any material misbeheaviour but I don't think I really paid attention to that.
I was really surprised by the action going on! Damages add a lot I must say.So much opponents on racing circuits or small arenas too ofcourse.
I'm not sure the savegame part is still clean of problems but maybe it's just me.

[nmg]img23.imageshack.us/img23/416/dd1modhw201007091403241.jpg[/nmg]
[nmg]img688.imageshack.us/img688/8243/dd1modhw201007091405555.jpg[/nmg]
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Holy shit, great!

I'll download it now and take it out for some testing tomorrow :)
Anddos
pedestrian

DD22C2TC

Post by Anddos »

No servers up?
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

I can try to host something later. Let's say 19.00 GMT+1? I have a fairly fast DSL line.

Also, use the hamachi channel posted in earlier discussion :)
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Ok, I was sitting here thinking, and came up with following idea:

Group 10, the death bowls.

Why not giving the AI's a little boost this race? Let's say we fickle around with the powerup "Turbo Opponents" a little? Sure, I can add that cheat manualle in the start of the race, and make the powerup last for the rest of the race.

HOWEVER: What if there is a code to add one specific powerup aviable from the start of the race? Also the turbo must be a little improved, let's say DOUBLE power? Now think of the carnage that will happend - AI's with doble powers, now that would be great!

What you think?
I will play around in the codes and see what I can manage to produce, before you experts comes :)
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

DD22C2TC

Post by Razor »

Wow, so much progression since I've been away.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

time time time, where does it go...

anyway, I'm back in the saddle today. Let's reply first;

[quote=Dudleif]Why not giving the AI's a little boost this race? Let's say we fickle around with the powerup "Turbo Opponents" a little? Sure, I can add that cheat manualle in the start of the race, and make the powerup last for the rest of the race.[/quote]

I don't think this will be a good idea. First of all the aggression and strength of the cars in the final races is already maxed. Second I believe that this power-up will unbalance the game-play between ai and player even more then it is right now.
I need stronger opponents, not faster ones...
So unless you can prove this idea will give better results it is a no go for me. It was a good suggestion however, so thanks for that.

[quote=Dudleif]Are there no way to make more checkpoints on the track? I think the main problem is that the AI choses the shortest way to the CP, meaning driving backwards is faster.[/quote]

I will check this, though I think the problem also occurs on tracks with more than two checkpoints so I doubt it will change anything. Still, clever thinking again.

[quote=Toshiba]I'm not sure the savegame part is still clean of problems but maybe it's just me.[/quote]

I created two different savegame files and two different hex refs in the executable. I haven't really tested it yet, but in theory it should work properly.

[quote=Jon606] - If you hit a car in the door, the top of the car changes to the grade colour
- Are Trashman and Barmy Army meant to have white and pink roofs?[/quote]

I decided to repaint the roofs of all cars to suit their character more, instead of letting them differ for division rank. I forgot to repaint the sidewindows for damaged textures, that is why the color changes. It is an easy fix. Silly I didn't notice it myself...

Trashman should not be white indeed, but I left the Barmy Army roof intentionally pink, just for fun.

Alrighty, Lets fix things today!!! :mad:
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Good, keep tricking around with the CP's :)

Two fast suggestions - FOV (camera angle) 80, and Yon 35. Reason for low Yon is because the AI cars won't reset if you can see them. Or, if course it's meant to be that way it works perfect .D I know I asked for them to not reset before, but the races seems more dull and borring when they are not racing around sadly :(

The physics on the DD1 cars are ACE!!! It's so much fun! Try driving the last bowl, cars flying everywhere! I know it's not exactly normal to pretend beeing an airplane, but playing the D1 cars offers so much more insane wrecking compared to DD2 cars. Are there some way to make the DD2 cars feel a bit more like the DD1 cars, at least on the weight side? They seems heavy and unresponsive comapred to the DD1 ones :)

Again, about maxed AI difficoulity, try chaning the following value in races file:

// DEFAULT PARAMETERS

21 // Default number of opponents in first race
21 // Default number of opponents in last race
0.0,0 // Softness,hardest rank of opponents in first race
0,0 // Softness,hardest rank of opponents in last race
1 // Opponent nastiness influencer for first race
10 // Opponent nastiness influencer for last race
----------
They now take a fair bit more punishing before dying.

I will be bake testing more, please keep us informed when there are new versions out :)

Edit: Also, are there some way to change the AI lines? Some of the tracks they seem to like driving on the gras instead of tarmac :D If you want I can provide pictures with alternative lines suggestion?

Edit2: New video up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RZrpxkhmY8

:)
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

Hey nice work on that movie - again! :) I like the way you dig into the mod, looking for things to improve.

[quote=Dudleif]Two fast suggestions - FOV (camera angle) 80, and Yon 35[/quote]

Yon of 35 sounds good to me, initially the plan to begin with. FOV of 80 is still a bit too much in my opinion. I don't want the screen to give the impression everyone is driving at warp-speed if you know what I mean. It becomes weird when the car is driving slow and the camera is circling around the car. (if only we could make the FOV differ per speed...)

[quote=Dudleif]The physics on the DD1 cars are ACE!!![/quote]

The dd1 cars do seem to react better. The center of gravity is a little higher, so they tip over more easilly, and the weight is also a little less then the dd2 ones. The dd2 ones are more realistic toward the original game. Since I had put so much effort into getting it to those settings, I would find it a bit of a shame to edit all of it again... Personally I think the dd1 cars are a bit too jumpy.
The difference in physics was the reason to split up a dd1 and dd2 version to begin with actually.
I am not planning on editing the dd2 car physics anymore, but you are free to play around yourself though.

[quote=Dudleif]Also, are there some way to change the AI lines?[/quote]

Yes I noticed this too, specially on the pine hills raceway corner. I will edit that corner. Any other places that seem off to you?

oh and I will put those setting in the Races.txt.

I have fixed all the textures for the dd1 cars, so now they are in the correct color when damaged. I also added a dd1 loading screen, and fixed a couple of crashes coming from the races.txt.

So the things I still want to do are;

- remove the ingame messages. Invisible font?
- env box sounds for the pitstops
- repair powerup for the pitstops (if not too much trouble)
- change opponents particular agression and speed?
- find 02 car body's or create them?
- add checkpoints to each race
- edit the race paths to more detail

you see the list is shrinking. To be honest, I think it is about time this mod will get to a finished state. It has been almost 7 months in the making, and it should not get any bigger or it will drive me mad. :dead: It is already monster-sized.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

DD22C2TC

Post by Razor »

Nice video
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Ok, agreement - don't change the car physics please? ;p On that way I can keep playing with my airplane :p The physics are for me very ok now. DD2 for the more realistic feel, DD1 for mayhem and bowl fun ;)

Np, and thanks for your comment, I just like this mod and tries my best to sort out things for the greater good of the mod :)

CC raceway (right name? that very little track) also has the corner cuting. Turn 1 is the main problem.

I'll play some more later tonight, and I'll try to take a race on each track to see if there is some errors.

As you say for AI speed - very good :) They could need to try taking the corners a little more faster, and (wishthinking) having more upgrades in the power slot to drive faster.

Razor: Thanks
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

DD22C2TC

Post by Razor »

DD2 mod just hangs on loading for me, DD1 mod is fine though, except for the incorrect colours on some smashable textures.
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

No problems starting the mod here. The main problem seems to me to be the DD1 tracks. The game crashes pretty often on ocean drive, speedway and the cactus creek track.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

[quote=Razor]DD2 mod just hangs on loading for me, DD1 mod is fine though, except for the incorrect colours on some smashable textures.[/quote]

I think you tried to play the dd2 mod on chalk canyon in group 4. I still had 29 opponents set on that track, causing a freeze.

[quote]No problems starting the mod here. The main problem seems to me to be the DD1 tracks. The game crashes pretty often on ocean drive, speedway and the cactus creek track.[/quote]

I will look at these tracks, see what might be the problem. It could also be related to the dd1 cars not splitting right, but I didn't check this yet. I will get into the mod again today.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

DD22C2TC

Post by Razor »

[quote]I think you tried to play the dd2 mod on chalk canyon in group 4. I still had 29 opponents set on that track, causing a freeze. [/quote]
Yup.

Also, on all DD1 tracks, each face seems to have a white border around it.
This used to happen when I made tracks in Sketchup and forgot to remove some of the untextured faces under the map.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

hm, this is a texture wrap issue, which shows best on the beach track. Is it really bothering? It would be a hell of a job to fix all those uv's to be honest... :(

Check who’s online