Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

DD22C2TC

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

Working on the SCA Motorplex track right now, most geometry is in there, just have to finish it off. Don't know why I'm posting this actually, perhaps to keep myself in shape :p

[nmg]img408.imageshack.us/img408/608/scamotorplex.jpg[/nmg]
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

It's nice having an active topic ;) So please, just keep 'em rolling, updates are apreciated at least by me :F
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

I've finished the SCA motorplex! Now one track remains, the very easy to model Cross Country Raceway.

[nmg]img696.imageshack.us/img696/2666/motorplex.jpg[/nmg]

I've decided to give the cars an remodel attempt. I decided it would be cooler to have detachables on the cars, to improve the total chaos in the mod. Texture wise, I put all smaller textures of each car into one big texture. I also removed glass, since the dd2 cars do not have glass normally. The smashable textures still look great imo...
Each car now also has a matching helmet colour. :p Helmets and steering wheel will rotate and the dashboard texture has been improved.

[nmg]img440.imageshack.us/img440/7556/dd2car2.jpg[/nmg]
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Great :D
But I do not agree on the glass, it makes it even more hectic and chaotic, glass, spills, trills, debris, parts..everything makes it a total chaos and that's what it should be ;D

Or?

Can't wait to try this!

Found a work around on the starting points in the area, and 20+ starting field yet?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

DD22C2TC

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I like how you have a pro approach at this mod building/organisation.
Gives me the feeling it will be released and will be an instant classic item.

Good luck with the physics ;)
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

There we go, all track models are finished! I will go through each and everyone of them this week, making sure there aren't any duplicate textures and that all settings are good and perfect. Then the remodeling of the cars will be taken on. (the perfect settings are almost there). As a final act I will run through the menu layout and settings once more, making sure there are no errors or missing fonts. Then I hope to get rid of those nasty bugs (starting grid and 20 cars bug) And theeeeeeeeeen, it should be done. I expect this to take me two more weeks guys. It has been a long wait, but the end is near! :p

here's a screen of the cross country Raceway, a nice subtle little racetrack.

[nmg]img517.imageshack.us/img517/3681/ccraceway.jpg[/nmg]
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

It looks good :)

Now it's just the finishing touch and bug hunting left then? Can't wait to test this out!
TTR
Psycho Maniac

DD22C2TC

Post by TTR »

So decided to do the more boring tracks anyway? That's cool :smile: Eager to play it!
The Outlaw
hit n run

DD22C2TC

Post by The Outlaw »

Nice job Harm. It's coming along smoothly, I am greatly anticipating the completion of your mod.
I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

DD22C2TC

Post by Razor »

Looks great, Harm. Have you spoken to Tosh about his CL2 launcher and all that stuff yet?
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
RUBi PHOENiXxX
pedestrian

DD22C2TC

Post by RUBi PHOENiXxX »

It's really good to see two games come together. The tracks are looking good, Both of Razor's and Harm's work is great. Wish I had to skill to help it along. But really good work guys! Keep it up!
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

Thanx for the reply's guys. I'm excited to see the thing completed just as much as you, if not even more!

I've done the remodelling of the car, kept it as low-poly as possible. The total polycount is 766 now. This is real low for a fairly detailed car.
The image below shows the detachables skin with the safety cage and inner model.

[nmg]img695.imageshack.us/img695/5126/newdd2car.jpg[/nmg]
(right click / open image in a new window to see the full scale)

I've finished the physics too! I've accidentally found a perfect setting I think. Bumpy suspention, good steering, not too grippy and still very fast :p
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

I came in my pants..
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

DD22C2TC

Post by Razor »

Amazing, simply amazing.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Swerve
pedestrian

DD22C2TC

Post by Swerve »

This is so awesome, DD2 was my favorite game years ago. I just reinstalled C2 because of this, keep up the great work!
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

DD22C2TC

Post by Razor »

[quote=Swerve]This is so awesome, DD2 was my favorite game years ago. I just reinstalled C2 because of this, keep up the great work![/quote]
This will be a separate C2 installation, no doubt.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

Wrapping up things right now. As I mentioned earlier I have remodelled the car models, but this also meant re-doing the smashables etc. I've added extra shrapnells, bits etc flying off, so the crash chaos is complete now :p

[nmg]img688.imageshack.us/img688/8505/shrapnell.jpg[/nmg]

I am currently adding sound effects to the maps and still trying to get that grid bug out of the way.

The numer of cars bug is solved. 22 cars in each race now :p hell yeah!

other things on the to do list are still

- menu screen checkup
- sound boxes and sound effects finishing
- multiplayer start points for the race tracks
- add checkpoints for most races
- move all materials to the reg folder
- custom explosion and smoke textures?
- create a simple web page for the mod?

you see, this is not a too big list, so I still hope to finish things very soon! I will keep you guys updated offcourse :p
DEMENTOR
demented bastard

DD22C2TC

Post by DEMENTOR »

Just brilliant, even that screenshot gets me excited. Sound like its just round the corner then, as the hard parts done ;-)
Id also like to congratulate you on how bloody quick you have done this, you've made it seem all too simple lol.
Can't wait!
<---- 1970 Plymouth Superbird (Richard Petty Replica) at Brooklands.
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

I am temting to use the "omg" train again, but I will not :)

I see you have done recoloring to the cars, good! Before they looked a little "pale", now they look perfect! Also having 22 cars... muhahahah! This is great!

I canot wait to test this, and I have spread the words to the various forums about this :)
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

DD22C2TC

Post by Razor »

Tasty.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

stil working guys, still working. The finishing touches just proved a little more then expected. Also ran into some other bugs when setting up the race stuff correctly.

The mod will feature 3 different race types.

Stock car racing, aimed at driving laps and checkpoints. The game prevents proper lap racing with more then 18 cars, so this is the limit of cars in this mode

wrecking racing, aimed at wasting all opponents. 22 cars in each race

total destruction. basically wrecking racing but with superagressive opponents.

The game has trouble with the d3d mode, so I decided to remove it completely. You can either use NGlide or Zekcenecks to run the game on modern day system, so Win7, Vista and XP are all covered

I'm working of a to-do list right now, and as soon as I run out of things to edit I will be releasing a beta test version / almost final version. What I want from you guys is some feedback on the game physics and possible on the LAN play at that time. I will be posting this asap.
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

That sounds great mate, please keep us informed :)
Swerve
pedestrian

DD22C2TC

Post by Swerve »

[quote=Harmalarm]stil working guys, still working. The finishing touches just proved a little more then expected. Also ran into some other bugs when setting up the race stuff correctly.

The mod will feature 3 different race types.

Stock car racing, aimed at driving laps and checkpoints. The game prevents proper lap racing with more then 18 cars, so this is the limit of cars in this mode

wrecking racing, aimed at wasting all opponents. 22 cars in each race

total destruction. basically wrecking racing but with superagressive opponents.

The game has trouble with the d3d mode, so I decided to remove it completely. You can either use NGlide or Zekcenecks to run the game on modern day system, so Win7, Vista and XP are all covered

I'm working of a to-do list right now, and as soon as I run out of things to edit I will be releasing a beta test version / almost final version. What I want from you guys is some feedback on the game physics and possible on the LAN play at that time. I will be posting this asap.[/quote]
Great news :D , I'm wondering though, have you found a way to prevent the AI cars from teleporting and wall hugging on the track? Judging from your Youtube Videos, it seems they are able to follow the track pretty well.
Doritos
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Doritos »

I really think i wanna test this... *crosses fingers so his computer doesnt reject it when the install finishes after the release*
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Same here, I gladly take out a testing round on the beta.

As I understand we will be looking for and how we should work (?) :

1: Bugs. - How did the error occure, can it be reproduced? How did you solve it (if it was solveable, restart game for example)
2: Visuals. Are menu's, cars and tracks looking propper? If not, give as detailed information as possible
3: Physics. How do they feel, how do they respond? Are they both fun and somewhat realistic?

I have done some testing for other things before, not game wise but software wise, when it is done and if you want people to test it, let my know, theveryend2@gmail.com
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Great! I'll download and test it right away now.
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Ok, here is my start testing. One thing, my username is The Very End, created this silly account name.. well fuck that, here is it:

Thing that can be improved, suggestions:

1: When changing the controllers, it can be hard pressing the numbers, for example A,B,C and D. You have to hit it perfectly, or it won't hit. Maybe make it a button instead?

2: Are there some way to get the menu scroll like in original DD2 game? It feels stiff waiting for that split second and then a completely new screan appears. Maybe fading effects?

3: Pictures of cars and tracks? Only text can be hard to navigate for the ones that has not plauyed DD2 before :)

4: In Total Destruction the others still seems to prefer wrecking other cars, are is possible to make them even more player attacking?

Bugs:

See attachment, sometimes you get this error message, happens more in oval than others, can seem to be random.

Physics:
I like them :) I think tho the turning can be a little faster, and the return rate must be slower if possible. You feel this by releasing turning in a turn, and you car goes apeshit :D

Also, make the cars lighter? Much of the fun in DD2 was to see flying cars, at the moment the cars seems a little heavy =)

[img]http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4108/utennavnd.jpg[/img]

And I want to say, this is the best mod I have ever played. The amount of work you have done here is absolutely great. Thumbs up mate!
Doritos
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Doritos »

[quote=Dudleif]See attachment, sometimes you get this error message, happens more in oval than others, can seem to be random.
[/quote]

Recieved this error as well,

the first race i started i drove off in to the grass and it told me i was going the wrong way.

And the damage indicators dont seem to work quite right on my machine they go from green strait to black no orange or red flashing in between even when i hit the front end several times.

One more smil bug it mightj ust be due to the carma2engine though, i ended up ontop of an opponent, and when the car did finaly slide off i couldnt moev it was as if the rear bumper were stuck to the ground
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

DD22C2TC

Post by Razor »

[quote]One more smil bug it mightj ust be due to the carma2engine though, i ended up ontop of an opponent, and when the car did finaly slide off i couldnt moev it was as if the rear bumper were stuck to the ground[/quote]
Just tap your repair button once, it wont repair the car but it will re-attach all detaches bodywork back onto the car.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

Hey those are some quick replies guys, great!

smash file error is fixed and a new package is uploaded. (You can also fix manually by moving the 00car and 00carb pixelmaps from the reg/graphics/pix16 folder to the 00dd2car/pix16 folder and moving the 00dd2car.mat and the simple00dd2car.mat from the reg/graphics folder to the 00dd2car folder.)

@dudleif

[quote]1: When changing the controllers, it can be hard pressing the numbers, for example A,B,C and D. You have to hit it perfectly, or it won't hit. Maybe make it a button instead?
2: Are there some way to get the menu scroll like in original DD2 game? It feels stiff waiting for that split second and then a completely new screan appears. Maybe fading effects?
3: Pictures of cars and tracks? Only text can be hard to navigate for the ones that has not plauyed DD2 before
4: In Total Destruction the others still seems to prefer wrecking other cars, are is possible to make them even more player attacking?[/quote]

1 the mouse selector can indeed sometimes be a little sensitive. You need to really click this one yes. It's the same as C2 though, but I will look into making them small buttons.

2. this is not possible. I tried using the animation within the menu for this, but it will not look good as the menu isn't really moving but only the menu dat files. so this is a no go

3 I had track images at some point, but this only works with a limited number of tracks. The images are too small, have to be cut up in pieces and are basically characters of a font. The images didn't work correctly either, so I decided to remove the track images.

4. hm, the aggression level is set to 99. I copied the behavior of the cops in the blues brothers map, but perhaps changing the aggression to 10 instead of 99 in the races.txt will make them more aggressive. I will look into this, because it is quite essential.

[quote] like them I think tho the turning can be a little faster, and the return rate must be slower if possible. You feel this by releasing turning in a turn, and you car goes apeshit
Also, make the cars lighter? Much of the fun in DD2 was to see flying cars, at the moment the cars seems a little heavy [/quote]

yes, the gar goes apeshit after releasing the steering wheel... super annoying. This is a consequence of having bouncy suspension... But you might be right saying that playing with the steering sharpness might solve this a little.
I increased the gravity for the entire mod to make it act more like dd2 and I'm pretty sure this is accurate actually.
Good to hear the rest of the physics are okay, they were a pain in the ass to setup right!

@doritos

[quote]the first race i started i drove off in to the grass and it told me i was going the wrong way.
And the damage indicators dont seem to work quite right on my machine they go from green strait to black no orange or red flashing in between even when i hit the front end several times.
One more smil bug it mightj ust be due to the carma2engine though, i ended up ontop of an opponent, and when the car did finaly slide off i couldnt moev it was as if the rear bumper were stuck to the ground[/quote]

1 yes, will fix it. It's the starting line checkpoint you drive through, but since it is the second checkpoint in line it gives you the 'hey you're going the wrong way' message. Will remove it.

2. damage indicators work well, but the problem is cars are easilly destroyed beyond the red and yellow dots, is you see what I mean. The game doesn't use the same damage steps as dd2, since it usus a more dynamic damage system. Not much I can do about this...

3. This happens on the bowls? Unfortunately I have not been able to fix the starting grid bug yet. This sucks I know. But for now, when you start a bowl race, simply press the reset button once and you are not stuck in the ground anymore.

@razor

[quote]There are a few issues though:
The 'Cars Remaining' bit of the HUD should be changed to 'Cars Defeated', due to it displaying the number of cars defeated (I know it doesn't say this on DD2 but that doesn't matter)
I'm also getting the same smashie problem as here: http://devwam.toshiba-3.com/viewtopic.p … 3611#p3611
Not asside from the blatant issue of C2 not displaying correctly on a widescreened monitor.
Also there seems to be a random array of white dots scattered throughout tracks? Don't know what this could be, sometimes they'll follow the track, sometimes they just turn off into a different direction.[/quote]

1 ;) true. silly me

2 fixed

3 widescreen issue can be fixed by telling the gfx card not to extend the screen. You will end up having black side borders, but the aspect ration will at least be correct

4 yes, this is part of the invisible wall. I had hoped it would stay unnoticed. I used the actor rendering mode for this and the white dots are the vertices of the invisible wall mesh. With a lower YON you will not see it probably, but with a high YON you will see them all the time... :s I will look into this.

what we have so far now

- fix invisible wall thing
- fix car remaining/car defeated
- look at car steering sharpness (softer return movement?)
- remove 'wrong way' message
- controller selection buttons ABCD
- change aggression on total destruction
- take another quick peek at the gravity, set back a little?

this is a nice list of things to work on. Another update will follow, for now you guys can download the new install which fixes the missing smash file error.
Swerve
pedestrian

DD22C2TC

Post by Swerve »

First of all let me congratulate you to this Masterpiece :D

Besides the little bugs already mentioned I noticed a minor bug with The Bouncer's car (88), it's brake lights are always activated. This occurred when either I or the Ai was using the car. Anyway I just wanted to point this out for you :P

Tested on Win 7 x64 system.
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Great mate :)

I do some further testing tonight.

When this goes final, and we have found most of the errors and shortcoming, let's get public?

I got some forums I'm member to, where there are some users that is interested in this :)

Awesome site tho mate!

One thing, the LAN play, does it work if you use hamachi + the server thingy? I have never used those programs attached to the mod, so I have no idea how they work sorry.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

[quote]One thing, the LAN play, does it work if you use hamachi + the server thingy?[/quote]

It works even without the master server executable. However, you will need a fast connection for this to work. So over LAN it will work fine, over the net the chances of the game getting out of sync are big.

In theory, using a master server on a high speed connected pc will work, but the game also has a high dependancy on the speed of all the clients on the network.

I had some flawless gameplay with carma2 back when I was using the connection of my university, so it is proven to work. We are still looking for a sollution to get the out of sync out of the way... :)

[quote]When this goes final, and we have found most of the errors and shortcoming, let's get public?[/quote]

hell yes! This would be great! I might also give the carmageddon community a boost and might even attract attention of people who know more about network and net communications of games. :D But for now, lets keep the profile low until the mod is complete. ;)
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Agree ;D

One thing tho, I have a fairly fast line, 14mbit/1mbit (down/up), so I think I have the speed needed to join a game. However, how do we set up if we want to play togheter? Would be great trying out 3-4 players over the network and see how it works.

Also, about the gravity, as I understand it's around 1.5 now? Tried it with 1-1.25, a little reduction to 1.25 seemed to give a more smooth feeling over it.

Want to try it out and see if it suits better? If not let's just stick with the current and see if there is some ways to get the car behove more normally, because now it's hell of understeer :D

Edit: One more bug (?). When cars are smashed, why are the steering wheel a half car lenght in front of car lmao? :D

Check who’s online