Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Old Town Square

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Old Town Square

Post by Toshiba-3 »

[img]http://membres.lycos.fr/rreaction10/OldTownSquare.jpg[/img]

Old Town Square
Fachwerk Style

The track was made by Dandis in Sketchup.
I exported it to 3dsMAX and set it up for Carmageddon 2.

It actually was a pain in the ass to convert to 3dsMAX, had to use both Wavefront and VRML format ; 3ds was totally useless.
I spent most of my time trying to find workaround for bugs during the conversion.

This track is more of an experiment than a fun track with a good gameplay.

Anyway this track features :

-Special lighting
-Total smoothing groups application
-Lots of non cars
-Funk
-1 /cool/ smashable (can you find it ?)
-Opponents path
-8 Multiplayer starting points
-Ambient sounds
-Material modifiers + Tire dust types
-oh well I forget... figure it out by yourself...

The track comes with two C2T, I really recommand the PEDS one, as Econo told me the CARS one (less tested one as well) made his game freeze several times.

It's very small, eye-candy though, and I guess it's just cool to see some interesting advanced C2 features and take WIP of your cars etc.
I know that there are some weird kind of stripes here and there but it's a result of the preprocessing and I don't think there's anything to do against this, I had already noticed it in Bleakcity2 and Blood On The Tracks ; the Tidy Up Kerbs option in PT2 is somehow related to it as it allowed me to at least put a material on those stripes (else it would have been black, white or gray). And yeah the trees tends to disappear, very common problem in C2...

'K...

[Download it here]
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
coffeycup
Genesis

Old Town Square

Post by coffeycup »

Interesting experiment, love the square with the fountain and flowers. I just wish it was a little more drivable, I'll have to try it again with a smaller vehicle or a motorcycle.
Only other criticism, lighting seemed a little flat - not much difference between shadowed and lit areas.

I'd like to see this theme extended to a larger map.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Old Town Square

Post by Harmalarm »

Hey, great looking map! I really like the sunny sky texture combined with the happy feeling german map :smile:

makes me wanna drive around the pedestrians instead of into them :heh:

but great work, i know how hard it can be to do a hard-way conversion
crash
hit n run

Old Town Square

Post by crash »

That map looks interesting. I can't get it to download tho. Every time I try I get an error saying the file could not be found...
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Old Town Square

Post by TTR »

Even with right click, save as?
crash
hit n run

Old Town Square

Post by crash »

Yea, it tells me it can't open the web page when I right click the pic. I think his server has issues with me LOL No matter the pc I still get problems once in a great while :wink:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Old Town Square

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Weird, the server runs just fine currently :decu:

Anyway I've uploaded it on Rapidshare :
http://rapidshare.com/files/39920573/Ol ... e.rar.html

'Hope you'll be luckier with this one !

BTW you should check whether your browser allows ftp links or not as the files are directly linked from a FTP.

Oh and thanks for the comments !
@ Coffeycup : well I tried to do my best with this lighting setup method, I agree it's flat. But my other attempts were worse.
And it could be great to see this style applied to a larger map. The track itself is not that much hipoly at all. It's rather the noncars, especially the bench.

'Gonna try to finish my psychedelic arena now... :kami:
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Synetearis
turbo bastard

Old Town Square

Post by Synetearis »

wow wasnt expecting this! looks really great, gonna give it a shot rite away!

I def agree with coffeycup here. But the map has a great atmosphere though and the overall look is just lovely :nice:
crash
hit n run

Old Town Square

Post by crash »

Thanks Toshiba, it downloaded right away, but I'll be giving it a shot sometime tomorrow.

As far as my browser's concerned, before you went to the nice web page I had been able to browse the files in my browser like a windows explorer window, so I know ftp connections are good. Thanks again :smile:

Check who’s online