Old Town Square
Toshiba-3 created Old Town Square on Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:23 am
[img]http://membres.lycos.fr/rreaction10/OldTownSquare.jpg[/img]

[b]Old Town Square[/b]
[i]Fachwerk Style[/i]

The track was made by Dandis in Sketchup.
I exported it to 3dsMAX and set it up for Carmageddon 2.

It actually was a pain in the ass to convert to 3dsMAX, had to use both Wavefront and VRML format ; 3ds was totally useless.
I spent most of my time trying to find workaround for bugs during the conversion.

This track is more of an experiment than a fun track with a good gameplay.

Anyway this track features :

[i]-Special lighting
-Total smoothing groups application
-Lots of non cars
-Funk
-1 /cool/ smashable (can you find it ?)
-Opponents path
-8 Multiplayer starting points
-Ambient sounds
-Material modifiers + Tire dust types
-oh well I forget... figure it out by yourself...[/i]

The track comes with two C2T, I really recommand the PEDS one, as Econo told me the CARS one (less tested one as well) made his game freeze several times.

It's very small, eye-candy though, and I guess it's just cool to see some interesting advanced C2 features and take WIP of your cars etc.
I know that there are some weird kind of stripes here and there but it's a result of the preprocessing and I don't think there's anything to do against this, I had already noticed it in Bleakcity2 and Blood On The Tracks ; the Tidy Up Kerbs option in PT2 is somehow related to it as it allowed me to at least put a material on those stripes (else it would have been black, white or gray). And yeah the trees tends to disappear, very common problem in C2...

'K...

[b][[url=http://rr2000.toshiba-3.com/]Download it here[/url]][/b]
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
coffeycup on Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:39 am
Interesting experiment, love the square with the fountain and flowers. I just wish it was a little more drivable, I'll have to try it again with a smaller vehicle or a motorcycle.
Only other criticism, lighting seemed a little flat - not much difference between shadowed and lit areas.

I'd like to see this theme extended to a larger map.
MacCarpocalypse | coffey.polygonized.com | CoffeyCup's Gallery
Harmalarm on Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:25 am
Hey, great looking map! I really like the sunny sky texture combined with the happy feeling german map :smile:

makes me wanna drive around the pedestrians instead of into them :heh:

but great work, i know how hard it can be to do a hard-way conversion
crash on Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:18 pm
That map looks interesting. I can't get it to download tho. Every time I try I get an error saying the file could not be found...
TTR on Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:35 pm
crash on Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:40 pm
Yea, it tells me it can't open the web page when I right click the pic. I think his server has issues with me LOL No matter the pc I still get problems once in a great while :wink:
Toshiba-3 on Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:52 pm
Weird, the server runs just fine currently :decu:

Anyway I've uploaded it on Rapidshare :
[url]http://rapidshare.com/files/39920573/OldTownSquare.rar.html[/url]

'Hope you'll be luckier with this one !

BTW you should check whether your browser allows ftp links or not as the files are directly linked from a FTP.

Oh and thanks for the comments !
@ Coffeycup : well I tried to do my best with this lighting setup method, I agree it's flat. But my other attempts were worse.
And it could be great to see this style applied to a larger map. The track itself is not that much hipoly at all. It's rather the noncars, especially the bench.

'Gonna try to finish my psychedelic arena now... :kami:
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Synetearis on Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:40 pm
wow wasnt expecting this! looks really great, gonna give it a shot rite away!

I def agree with coffeycup here. But the map has a great atmosphere though and the overall look is just lovely :nice:
crash on Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:11 am
Thanks Toshiba, it downloaded right away, but I'll be giving it a shot sometime tomorrow.

As far as my browser's concerned, before you went to the nice web page I had been able to browse the files in my browser like a windows explorer window, so I know ftp connections are good. Thanks again :smile:
Pages: 1

Extra information
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:38 am,

Please Register a username.
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests