Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carma-Life² Release

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carma-Life² Release

Post by Toshiba-3 »

It's here damnit ! :kami:

The pack weighs ~40MB and is ~140MB extracted.
It takes a loooooooong time to extract (UHARC ALZ3 compression FTW!).
It's not a patch to apply on C2, it's a new installation.

DO READ THE DOCUMENTATION PLEASE, located in the misc folder~
at least if you're not familiar with Carmageddon 2 :]

Thanks to AdR, Coffeycup, Econobrick and TTR for their contribution~ :tup:

ah... and it's NOT the final release ofcourse. It's just like a redesign/FX pack.

-DOWNLOAD-

-Alternative Download : RAR format-
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Carma-Life² Release

Post by TTR »

If you keep it at this rate of quality, then it'll be the best TC with the most out of the engine. Even the menu commands are placed differently!?? Very cool.
coffeycup
Genesis

Carma-Life² Release

Post by coffeycup »

Yeah, really nice. I like the addition of Carstockalypse ans Mapstockalypse and the included GlideWrapper a nice complete package.

Really nice
Festae
hit n run

Carma-Life² Release

Post by Festae »

I was hoping it would magically trick my carmageddon 2 into working..

but no.. Its still beyond dead.
I'm sure it rocks though....
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Carma-Life² Release

Post by TTR »

Even if you try anything the readme says Fest?
Synetearis
turbo bastard

Carma-Life² Release

Post by Synetearis »

oow yeah baby!!! gonna give it a go right away! been really looking forward 2 this!

the instalation time suits it quite wel btw.. brings back the good C1 pentium100 memories... :nice:
Synetearis
turbo bastard

Carma-Life² Release

Post by Synetearis »

heh, I just had a blast :D
AcdTrip
hit n run

Carma-Life² Release

Post by AcdTrip »

Hot Damn!!! I wanna give this one a try :bunny: I damn my job to hell for being here right now..
Your Father Wanted To Use Computers To Free The Body From The Brain!!
- We like to use automobiles -
Synetearis
turbo bastard

Carma-Life² Release

Post by Synetearis »

only track that seens 2 work here is the Armourgeddon track, on the rest it give the error that it cant open the races file...

mhmm now it doesnt work on any track anymore....

error cant open races file.. aah wut do I need 2 do?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carma-Life² Release

Post by Toshiba-3 »

@ Syne : Now this is quite unexpected !
So you were able to play the races at the first launch and not now anymore ?
Can you copy the exact error message here please ?
Have you already encountered this error with vanilla C2 ?
Have you tried to install another track in CL2 and see if the same happens ?
Are you using Glide or D3D btw ?

@ AcidTrip : Don't worry ! Install it at work, it's a totally related program ! Efficiency at work improvements garanteed !

@ Festae : :mleh: And I guess you've already tried every possible solution to make C2 work...
Anyway you can still post the error message and develop the problem in the C2 forum if you want.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Synetearis
turbo bastard

Carma-Life² Release

Post by Synetearis »

@ toshiba, I am using glide, ne-ways just now it worked again no problems at all.. I didnt do anything though, guess it just carma.. if I get the error once more, I'll make a piccy.

EDIT

aah here it is:

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/ ... aerror.jpg[/img]

ne-ways, hats of 2 ya :wink: havent had this much fun with carma in a looooong while :sglasses:
AcdTrip
hit n run

Carma-Life² Release

Post by AcdTrip »

I'm at home and installed it, tried it and GOD DAMN man... it was just Great !!!!!! The only shame was the glide didn't work, Fatal error (BRender error detected: Failure: Could not reference image glide2x).. tough it might be because of this laptop :sglasses: and a few stuff that weren't solid like a lightpole.
Synetearis
turbo bastard

Carma-Life² Release

Post by Synetearis »

I know wut the problem of my error is, I have 2 play with a clean restart, problem fixed :grin:
AcdTrip
hit n run

Carma-Life² Release

Post by AcdTrip »

And there are grafical errors.. pictures missing here and there but I think thats still because of this laptop :errr: but I like it, I like it a lot :hehe:
Mad Maxx
driver

Carma-Life² Release

Post by Mad Maxx »

OMG!!! It's damn slow on FX6200! I should try it on FX6600GT and if on that videocard it's so slowly too then I am lost...
Mad Maxx
driver

Carma-Life² Release

Post by Mad Maxx »

Tosh, can you tell what are the requirements for this CL2? 'Cause I ran it in e-cafe five times - once on PC with MX440, once - GeForce FX5700, once - FX6200, once - FX6600GT and once FX8600GTS. And this game is still slow! When I remove the car complexity at all it becomes a little more normal but when I make a turn and new graphics come on screen it becomes slower again and again and again... Besides some cars just disappear from the screen and I feel like I drive pure air.
I really like how the game looks like but it's unplayable. On FX8600GTS I play NFS Carbon with all graphics on MAXIMUM and it works perfect. CL2 doesn't. The feeling is like you are trying to play NFS 5 on Voodoo 2 card...
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carma-Life² Release

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Do you actually play with the glidewrapper ?
Have you read the instructions etc ?

My comp is a P4 3.2GHz with a 6800GT, a lowend comp for nowadays standards, and it runs just fine in 1280*1024 with a 75 value for the YON. And it also runs fine on less powerful computers.

@ AcidTrip : You know, I'm even thinking about removing the D3D part of C2 as there's more and more stuff made for the Glide version :mleh:
But tell me are you using Zeckensack's or dgVoodoo ? Have you tried to reinstall the one you're using ?

I know about the non solid noncars, it's weird... They sometime work and sometime don't.
Also, I forgot the replace the Phillip Island entry by Armourgedon in Group 2 - 10, that's why it crashes~
Etc.
Mad Maxx
driver

Carma-Life² Release

Post by Mad Maxx »

[quote=Toshiba]Do you actually play with the glidewrapper ?
Have you read the instructions etc ?

My comp is a P4 3.2GHz with a 6800GT, a lowend comp for nowadays standards, and it runs just fine in 1280*1024 with a 75 value for the YON. And it also runs fine on less powerful computers.

@ AcidTrip : You know, I'm even thinking about removing the D3D part of C2 as there's more and more stuff made for the Glide version :mleh:
But tell me are you using Zeckensack's or dgVoodoo ? Have you tried to reinstall the one you're using ?

I know about the non solid noncars, it's weird... They sometime work and sometime don't.
Also, I forgot the replace the Phillip Island entry by Armourgedon in Group 2 - 10, that's why it crashes~
Etc.[/quote]
As you know I work and play C2 in e-cafe. I don't have home PC. I don't know why but the glidewrapper can not be installed here anymore without making a bunch of problems in Win XP Home. I will try again but there is no guarantee it will work normal.
And, btw, I have no idea WTH is Zeckensack's dgVoodoo.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carma-Life² Release

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Dude...

Zeckensack's and dgVoodoo ARE the glidewrappers.
Mad Maxx
driver

Carma-Life² Release

Post by Mad Maxx »

I found way to install the Glider without any troubles but I had to delete one file from C:\Windows\system32 to make it work properly. My friend told me that and it really worked. With the glider the game is more than perfect. The only "problem" is that I don't remember what should be in the *.C2T file because some maps don' have such one and I must create it manually. Can you send me in a PM what should be the text in that file, please?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carma-Life² Release

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Just open RACES.TXT and edit it manually, it's even simpler than creating a C2T file.
You'll quickly see what you've to change in order to add a track in the game.

You can have a look at this CWA thread also :
http://www.cwaboard.com/ubbthreads/show ... #Post74867
VirLupoLupus
pedestrian

Carma-Life² Release

Post by VirLupoLupus »

Out of Gratitude for a great Self-standing mod like this, I just had to register and send some Front bumper of Love to the people responsible for this Carnage.
Works even better then the original game while adding custom tracks.
T' bad MP won't work in this MOD though.

Great work on the visual enhanchements. Made a Custom CD in the same case as Carma2, it's that fresh. :grin:
As you already know, Direct 3D has problems with High Res Textures. But it works with Glide.
Even found the track Phillip Island somewhere and it works OK. Forgot where it was. And can't find it again, but it's out there someplace for those who need it.
Looking forward to the City17 and Industrial District like anyone else. Are we all on a Mission to find Gordon Freeman as our front decal?

Just one Questions off-topic, when I save a pedestrian skin changed in Photoshop, what compression and pixel order works best for Carma-Life 2 and Carmageddon 2?
That's about all. Now Back to Fragging.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carma-Life² Release

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hello~

Thanks for your comment, and looks like you're anticipating my next move about this project by making a custom cd : the final version will be an ISO :sglasses:

I'm really thinking about removing D3D now and embed the glidewrapper with the launcher.
You can download Phillip Island at my download page : https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/R4/
City17 will most probably be the last addition as it will be some kind of huge work...
This is the current track projects order : TechArena, 1920s, Armourgeddon 2, GTA2 Industrial District, City17.

About the texture format :
TIFF Rev-6
IBM PC format
No compression
Strip size : 4K
No preview information
Wolverine
hit n run

Carma-Life² Release

Post by Wolverine »

Hi,

I just installed this mod and WOW what a difference! It feels like a whole new game completely... i'm mainly writing because of a couple of problems i noticed though. I also have the "unable to open races.txt" error... but it seems this only happens if you launch into the menu and hit start straight away. However, if you get into the menu and click on a race or mission explicitly before clicking start, no error occurs.

Also, i am getting random crashes to desktop when pressing ESC during game. The error doesn't describe much, only a memory location. I haven't got a screenshot unfortunately but as soon as it happens again i'll take one if you need it.

As far as performance goes, it's pretty good in 3DFX. I can noticed some small slowdowns now and again, but concidering the quality of this mod - it's probably to be expected. However, this was on my main machine which has a 8800GTX - which makes me wonder why it had any slowdowns at all.

I'll probably have time later to play it through a bit more, so if i notice anything else i'll let you know.

Great work once again,
James.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carma-Life² Release

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hello Wolv and welcome on Cfe.

You figured the "unable to open races.txt" error right, it's because I've left the Phillip Island entry in the groups 2 to 10 while it's actually not in the package.
About the random crashes, it's a very common problem, I think that everybody has it, even with the normal C2 ; it happens when the engine loads too much data like big tracks and a lot of cars/detailed cars. Personaly I get this crash 2 times out of 3, that's why I made the new launcher not to shut itself when launching the game, it helps spare a bit more time when you launch the game again after a crash.

As for the performance, the main problem comes from the Beelzebub engine, it's too old and can't handle 10k-20k cars correctly. I wonder if it was really a good idea to include General Lee in the beta finally... Anyway I'll probably remove D3D at least. Not sure how I could improve the performance in Glide mode without removing the detailed cars.
cesm20
turbo bastard

Carma-Life² Release

Post by cesm20 »

[quote]About the random crashes, it's a very common problem, I think that everybody has it, even with the normal C2 ; it happens when the engine loads too much data like big tracks and a lot of cars/detailed cars. Personaly I get this crash 2 times out of 3, that's why I made the new launcher not to shut itself when launching the game, it helps spare a bit more time when you launch the game again after a crash.[/quote]
Hum... i DO know the cause of those crashes, it's when the opponents get split, because i noticed that a lot of add-on cars (well this was some months ago, i don't know if recent cars has this problem too) do make the game crash to desktop when they are split in half, after extensive testing i found out that the problem is in the way that the bounding box shape is made, since when i replaced the bounxing box shape with another similar of a car that didn't crashed, the same happened with the car i was testing and it didn't made the game crash anymore.

Of course a quick fix for this is disabling the car ability to split in the WAM file, but there is still a lot of cars that this happens since not all of those that make the game crash have that setting disabled...

And yes i am REALLY sure about this, because now that i am carefull with this, my game NEVER crashed to the desktop anymore ever since i removed or fixed such cars by setting them to be unsplittable, and before that i used to have such crashes frequently.

Toshiba. can you play c2 for a while, without any of those cars that can be split, installed or appearing as opponents ?
Wolverine
hit n run

Carma-Life² Release

Post by Wolverine »

This is interesting because i have also noticed that having certain addon cars installed can cause C2 to crash when they take a severe, sudden impact or split etc. It doesn't happen on first impact (usually), but at some random time when an impact occurs. I haven't tried that many cars, but the last one that caused me some problems was TTR's Ferrari - but i assumed at the time it must be related to the game itself.

Is it particularly easy to be able to stop cars from splitting within the WAM file? I think this is something which may need to be implemented in C2O when addon cars are used...

Any information, solutions to problems like these are very useful to me - since I can try to automate them in C2O.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Carma-Life² Release

Post by TTR »

Uh? I've splitted my Ferrari many times and not one time it crashed because of it :errr:
Wolverine
hit n run

Carma-Life² Release

Post by Wolverine »

Hi,

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't always do it... but on occasions when the impact is particularly dramatic (Super fast collision/Mega explosion leading to bending etc) it can happen (for me anyway). But this goes for a few addons i've tried in the past too. I'm no expert so i don't know why it happens, but the bounding box? I assume that is some kind of box that dictates where collision occurs?? sounds like a valid possibility.

It doesn't happen so often for me to be able to blame all addon cars, but i don't recall having such a crash when i used a standard car.

I'm not diss-ing addon cars at all, they are fantastic! But it would be nice to find out why this happens.

P.S. some interesting stuff in those WAM files... it looks like its possible to make the parts of a car STAY on the car always - but still be "dentable"? This is something i'm also looking to do :) Oh i can see me having some fun next time i start C2...

James.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Carma-Life² Release

Post by TTR »

Wha? They always bend unless you specify "uncrushable" Detachable or not, always bends :smile:.

(or though theres a way to make something uncrushable outside this method but never used on cars i think)
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carma-Life² Release

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Please Cesm... read the topic before replying... We already all know that fucked up bbox or/and wam file cause crash to desktop when a big hit/split occurs. We were talking about the crashes happening when we hit the 'ESC' key.

@ Wolverine : Many crashes happen randomly and for unknown reasons. It's now part of the C2 legend heh...
Notice though that there is another recurrent crash type which I know the cause : when smashables use 256*256 textures with unwrapping (or maybe even with planar, not sure, should verify), it causes crash when 2 or more materials have to load the damaged texture at the same time.
Wolverine
hit n run

Carma-Life² Release

Post by Wolverine »

Yeah maybe they do always bend, but i mean the problem happens for me when it's really dramatic (i.e. what Toshiba has just been talking about). It looks like my queries have been pretty well answered now though.

I'd like to be able to prevent body parts from detatching from all cars when they are used in C2O, since synching all of them on the map would produce a lot of un-needed lag. I assume changing the detatch options in the WAM files will do this... going to try it later today when i've got time.

Thanks for the infos,
James.
†TYRANICK†™
mechanic

Carma-Life² Release

Post by †TYRANICK†™ »

Hi.

I've just disconvered this mod when looking in a dusty pile and finding C2 and seeing it working, it was unreal. And i came across this mod when looking for some cars, and its awesome! but i have some questions.

Graphics wise...it's using the original C2 isnt it? because even with glide wrapper and stuff, draw distance is still the same, textures seems to blur or fuzz out a bit, and it doesnt look as if the resolution is in 1280x1024 lol. just the cars and stuff seem more high res.

Also are there only 4 tracks? how do you start a new game...why do i have all the vehicles...and 74 million credits lol.

Is this supposed to be installed WITH and IN the original C2 folder or seperatly? As i thought it would just be like C2, same tracks and missions and stuff but a new experience, but i seem to just be dumped into a random lot of races (unless im missing something), i dont want everything immediatly, i want to sweat and toil my way up!! lol.

Ok thats all my questions so far, but huge compliments to the creaters! HL2 sounds...HL2 zombies haha love it =]
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carma-Life² Release

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hi,

This version of CL2 is still a beta, its main purpose is to let people see the several improvements and stuff. But as it's meant to be a stand-alone, I had to include some content with the package in order to let it be playable directly. That's why there's only 4 tracks and 10 cars included.
However you can and should install all the cars and tracks you download from the internet in CL2 as it's totally compatible with original C2 add-ons.
The final version will include a full selection of the best add-ons... let's say... like 100-150 cars and 40 tracks. But I'm not sure if I'll work out some kind of "new experience" or story. Not even sure if I'll make missions.

So far... It's more of a base than a whole game. Just the engine with updated effects and stuff, ready to welcome add-ons.

About the graphics, the glidewrapper only increases the screen resolution (which is already a big improvement), and it is indeed very better for the look of the cars and some new peds. The tracks need hi res textures to take advantage of the glidewrapper.

[quote]Is this supposed to be installed WITH and IN the original C2 folder or seperatly?[/quote]
Separately. Isn't it said during the installation ? Can't remember...

And thanks for the compliments !
†TYRANICK†™
mechanic

Carma-Life² Release

Post by †TYRANICK†™ »

[quote=Toshiba]Hi,

This version of CL2 is still a beta, its main purpose is to let people see the several improvements and stuff. But as it's meant to be a stand-alone, I had to include some content with the package in order to let it be playable directly. That's why there's only 4 tracks and 10 cars included.
However you can and should install all the cars and tracks you download from the internet in CL2 as it's totally compatible with original C2 add-ons.
The final version will include a full selection of the best add-ons... let's say... like 100-150 cars and 40 tracks. But I'm not sure if I'll work out some kind of "new experience" or story. Not even sure if I'll make missions.

So far... It's more of a base than a whole game. Just the engine with updated effects and stuff, ready to welcome add-ons.

About the graphics, the glidewrapper only increases the screen resolution (which is already a big improvement), and it is indeed very better for the look of the cars and some new peds. The tracks need hi res textures to take advantage of the glidewrapper.

[quote]Is this supposed to be installed WITH and IN the original C2 folder or seperatly?[/quote]
Separately. Isn't it said during the installation ? Can't remember...

And thanks for the compliments ![/quote]
Oh i see yeah, i was gonna say, 74M cred to start with hah i nearly got upset xD.

Oh cool 40 tracks? nice, 150 cars hehe sweet. Even so, i dont mind if its just a massive overhaul of C2 with the same tracks and stuff or with new tracks, some of these demolition derby tracks would be good for say "boss vehicle" missions and stuff. no new story needed as such, just...how shall i say...more "entertaining" missions/boss battles, as the checkpoint races are rubbish =[, but i love challanging pitbull, so fun :D

Oh and btw, do you know of any way of adding new cars and stuff WITHOUT them appearing in your garage or w/e we shall call it? Rather annoying lol.

Who is the creater of this? Is it open to suggestions? because i have a few :D

One main one was to overhaul how a vehicles "toughness" or w/e is defined, i was thinging instead of the whole 1-5 thing, instead maybe each vehicle has a specified APO, for example for fast cars and such, they would lean more towards Power on there APO, for average vehicles with large weapons on the front (only cosmetic but still) a more Offensive rating, and of course for the big boys, more Armor specific. Un sure if its possible to do that, but it would be easier than the 1-5 thing heh.

As for the textures and draw distances, they need increasing and tuning up, maybe possible to impliment TDR's graphics or...equivilent?

Anyway so far its looking like a very good mod, cant wait for when it's finished :D

Check who’s online