Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carma-Life² Mod

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by Toshiba-3 »

THE NEW VERSION OF THE MOD IS RELEASED :
http://cfe.toshiba-3.com/viewtopic.php?id=127

-------------------------------------------------------------
This is the official thread about the mod.

Final aim : Give a new life to Carmageddon 2 through a new build (ISO) featuring the best content to satisfy hi-end computers.

Current aim : change the interface as much as possible towards a slick and simplistic design ; this includes graphics, sounds, texts. As Half-Life² is a winrar design-wise, it's the main reference.
Also going to be part of the final version : new peds, tracks, cars, GFX, etc.

Here are 2 screenshots to show the updated HUD a bit, notice the new fucking fonts (took a me a whole weekend to creates the 1700~ tiffs composing the new fonts).

Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
coffeycup
Genesis

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by coffeycup »

Wow, impressive. Will the new tracks/peds be HL2 themed?
Alex_Dynamite
road raged psycho

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by Alex_Dynamite »

That looks cool! :sglasses:

I've had the idea of changing the menus and HUD, to something more carma-like, unlike the bright colors.
DEMENTOR
demented bastard

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by DEMENTOR »

Thats quite fecking amazing TBH.
Good luck, its looking great.
<---- 1970 Plymouth Superbird (Richard Petty Replica) at Brooklands.
n3wton
Wasted!

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by n3wton »

Wow! that looks awesome Tosh!! Keep up the excellent work!!!! :) :) :)
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Thanks for the replies, guys.

My current tasks are to change the sounds which is kinda harder than I thought 'cause either there's some priority mess either the format of the new sounds causes soundbuffer overflow or such... I mean there's sometime some sounds which aren't audible... And also changing all (61) powerups icons. I'm still trying to figure a good enough pictographic system to fit both the new hud and the powerup effects.

@ Coffeycup : The HL2 peds will most probably stay as they are, original skin etc, but I'll also change their skin to make the models fit other peds type (err... see what I mean ?). The only HL2 themed track will be City17 (obviously) and it will be the last task to achieve. I'll just try to make a good selection of the best tracks and cars available from the community, just like De4mon did with TDR.

However I must mention that I got rid of every 8bit mode related stuff, it's not even available anymore in the launcher. I've also modified Carstockalypse a bit and in the end I guess I'll try to gather several programs in an unique one, C2_Hires + Launcher + Carstock + Mapstock + Glidewrapper would be great...

The next version will feature everything but the peds, cars and tracks, this way I'll only have to deal with that content for the final release. And about that I still don't know how I'll introduce the next version as I doubt that it will be easy to install over an existing C2.
DEMENTOR
demented bastard

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by DEMENTOR »

Another thing I was thinking of, was are you planning on spreading the word of this mod on a wide scale. Because I don't know about you but if I took up a challenge of this size. I would definately want it to be realised for all its hard work.
So are you gonna post it around the HL2 community aswell as C2?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Yes yes ! That's even the purpose of this mod, showing to the world all the work that has been done for C2 since its release and therefore bring new players... for some days at least ?! :tup:
I'm not sure about the HL2 community but I guess I'll make announcement on war*z boards and such, just like De4mon does. Carmageddon Series threads are often quite popular on these boards considering they are old games, my mod can have a lot of attention as it will give a fully modded C2 without the modding part to be done.
The only con is that it won't run fluently on very low comps anymore... but oh well, it's time for some futur or the damn game will definitely vanish from memories~
Morbid Angel
speed freak

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by Morbid Angel »

:nice:

Wow ! Tosh, it's a huge and great work !!
I'm impressed !

I'm impatient to test it.
I hope such a great work will be seen by many many people that will enjoy it as well as it desserves !
(j'espère qu'un si beau travail voyagera à travers le net et sera vu par de nombreuses personnes qui l'apprécieront à sa juste valeur :grin: )
n3wton
Wasted!

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by n3wton »

Am gonna get a news post sorted @ Wasted later regarding this Mod Tosh... its amazing! :) and I cant wait to see further developments, if you need a hand with anything just lemme know, I know am not modeler etc... but I have plenty of webspace & bandwidth, so if you want a serperate site dedicated to the mod (like carma2adv) your more and welcome to have a home on my server m8, goes for hosting stupidly huge files too :)

(the only site i have with polygonized these days is Wasted!) the rest are on my own server
Synetearis
turbo bastard

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by Synetearis »

mhm... that looks tasty! cant wait 2 give it a shot!
Mad Maxx
driver

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by Mad Maxx »

[quote=Synetearis]mhm... that looks tasty! cant wait 2 give it a shot![/quote]
Haha, I can't wait too. :) Everytime I login here I hope that I will see Toshiba wrote the words "Release date is today. You can get it now." :)
Morbid Angel
speed freak

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by Morbid Angel »

If ya need a tester, I'm in !
:grin:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by Toshiba-3 »

While I'm still changing the sounds (awesome results so far), I made a new launcher :

The install features just launch Carstockalypse and Mapstockalypse. I think it's pretty good looking uh ? :sglasses: :uho:
I thought about adding blood, but such green and bloody red would create a kind of vibrating visual which I don't want in this case so I forgot about that.

Now look at the two icons in the explorer behind the launcher, there's a red on and the green one. Which one do you think is the most effective graphically ? Both have every needed icon resolution up to 128*128 and feature transparency. I personaly think that the shadow of the red one (created first some months ago) makes it visually too complex, and the green one has a better harmony with the launcher and new ingame menu ; but the red one still reflects the real content of Carmageddon~~~

@ n3wton : Thanks mate ! So far we still have way enough webspace and bandwidth here on tosh.com but I guess that when the time of the final release (featuring all the stuff) will come, the installer will indeed get pretty much huge so we'll maybe need some helpful hand, besides the fact that mirrors are always welcome ofcourse ! We'll see about that when the time will come :wink:

*going back to the SOUNDS folder*
Morbid Angel
speed freak

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by Morbid Angel »

:heh:
Woah Tosh !
It makes me dream !!!
What a job you did !!!
How did you do this fine launcher ?
I mean, Which application did you use ? When I want to develop something I use Visual Basic. But there's always 350 000 Go (almost) of dll stuff to install !!!
:errr:

btw, I like the green icon. It's stylish and it's a good variation on the carma/HalfLife theme.
I think there's no need to add blood on the launcher. We all know what's Carma's all about. :grin:
It gives your (marvellous) mod its proper look mixed of Carma/HL² ...
I'm impatient to see the final result ...
:nice:
DEMENTOR
demented bastard

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by DEMENTOR »

Have you tried the green one in a red colour?
And I think the shadow is a bit too 'strong' for the red one.

EDIT: Oh, and maybe give the launcher window a red colour?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by Toshiba-3 »

@ Morbid Angel : I used Borland Developer Studio 2006 (I had to download and install about 800mo just for that little app'... Last time I used Delphi it was like Delphi 5... 6 years ago ?!). Still pretty intuitive and powerfull if not more. It took me like a couple of hours to remember how to proceed with this program and make the launcher.
'Gonna keep it installed this time :cookie3:

@ Dementor :

[img]ftp://downloads.toshiba-3.com/kvefugrn/ ... dicons.png[/img]

A red new icon is an interesting idea, especially if it is associated with a red launcher, but I'm not sure on this last point. Anyway I'll try it tomorrow, it's often just a matter of finding the right color.
The strong shadow is indeed very distractive on the former one, besides it faded towards neutral gray values...
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Damn tosh your gona make me buy a new computor jsut to run it o.o
Mad Maxx
driver

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by Mad Maxx »

I like the shadowed icon. But don't like this background color. If you change it to black or silver it will look much better. ;)
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Here's both launchers. I added a sound effect when you move your cursor over the options and also when you click them (the sounds are loaded from the C2 SOUND folder) ; you can also see the highlight colors (yellow for the green one, and black for the red one).
TTR confirmed me that the new launcher is compatible with VISTA and even more than the original one as when you launch the game from the original launcher there's no ingame sound.
Which one is the best ? Red or Green ? TTR and I think that the red is indeed more effective as Dementor proposed.

[img]ftp://downloads.toshiba-3.com/kvefugrn/ ... r_wip2.jpg[/img]

@ Mad Maxx : I think a black or silver color is not a good idea, it gives really less personality to the design than well balanced colors, besides silver is very cold, black is not even a color and both of them aren't involved anywhere in the new look I try to give to C2.
Those may seem like details, but the sum of such details decides of the visual credibility of one's project.
DEMENTOR
demented bastard

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by DEMENTOR »

I must say, the red shade looks a lot better. But I would say that wouldn't I. :wink:
And it's probably quite lucky that you didn't do the ingame interface in the green colour.
That would mean re-doing all of it in the red shade. :errr:

EDIT: Another minor idea is in the main menu, if my eyes don't decieve me that is a HL2 level in the background.
How about doing that for one of the addon tracks in the blur effect?
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by Mad_Maxine »

I like the gren more ><

Looks more like the color you owuld asociate with that sort of thing like halflife
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by TTR »

Hehe if you would just knew Dementor :wink: :uho:
AcdTrip
hit n run

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by AcdTrip »

This thing makes me feel all fired up inside.. exept for the little thing of getting a new comp :uho:
As for the red and green.. i like em both, could there be a skin selector to pic wich ever style u like more?
Your Father Wanted To Use Computers To Free The Body From The Brain!!
- We like to use automobiles -
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Status update :

- Decided to keep the red skin (even if the main influence is HL2 design-wise, no need to keep the color scheme this far, let's get back to some Carma hue at least) ;
- Sound part is done ;
- Definitive icon ? :

[img]ftp://downloads.toshiba-3.com/kvefugrn/ ... o_wip3.png[/img]

@ AcidTrip : Mmmh no skin selector :heh: It's not like it was a big interface you see, so no big deal keeping only one skin.

@ Dementor : Yes it is a HL2 level, but as City17 will be ported to C2 for the final release, in the end it will be like a blurry shot of one of the add-on tracks ?! Hahaha *cough* erm...
DEMENTOR
demented bastard

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by DEMENTOR »

[quote=Toshiba]@ Dementor : Yes it is a HL2 level, but as City17 will be ported to C2 for the final release, in the end it will be like a blurry shot of one of the add-on tracks ?! Hahaha *cough* erm...[/quote]
Ah yes, should have known. :uh:
And I do like that icon, gives it a bit more 'life'.
AcdTrip
hit n run

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by AcdTrip »

ok.. no matter for me tough, i like em both ways :) just thought of it. That is a really nice looking icon you got there :sglasses:
Your Father Wanted To Use Computers To Free The Body From The Brain!!
- We like to use automobiles -
coffeycup
Genesis

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by coffeycup »

Looking great Tosh...this is quite the project!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Status update :

- Damn powerup icons have a new look.

Gonna change the menu forms and positions now, then some text maybe if necessary.
I must still change some gfx like the repulsificator and such.

[img]ftp://downloads.toshiba-3.com/kvefugrn/ ... up_wip.jpg[/img]
dicklaurent
pedestrian

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by dicklaurent »

damn. awesome stuff!
coffeycup
Genesis

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by coffeycup »

heh nice, is that a Splat Pack level? Isle Be Damned?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Mmmh it is Drown In the Sumps (from the Splat pack indeed) with a track skin by C2Scientist.
It's maybe (probably?!) the same level as you mentioned, I'm not very familiar with the Splat pack tracks~

[img]http://koti.mbnet.fi/jariky/Images/Site/PreviewDam.jpg[/img]

Quite low poly levels uh ? :heh:
n3wton
Wasted!

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by n3wton »

aww this mod is gonna kick some major arse when its released! Tosh I can be a beta tester please!! please!! :)
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Heh ! I indeed guess there will be some beta testing indeed :nice:
Though I actually don't really understand why you people are so looking forward for this as it's just some enhancements a bit everywhere but nothing major like a whole new content, well not yet uh.
But yes it's indeed good looking so far, I can barely remember how the original C2 is supposed to look now...

I haven't had much free time lately so I just made a new simpler and more eyecandy intro :
[yt code=44AAUep1-jQ]
Though it looks/plays better in smacker format~
dmassive
pedestrian

Carma-Life² Mod

Post by dmassive »

Wow this is fantastic. Any videos in game? ;)

Check who’s online