Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Mustangcop 2010

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Mustangcop 2010

Post by Harmalarm »

COMMING SOON, TO A CARMAGEDDON 2 NEAR YOU!

Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Mustangcop 2010

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Very nice item! Does your wife know about the uniform fetish? :B
Gotta use a SHELL model this time uh ;)
Can't wait to see this ingame, I hope the polys having an alpha channel won't cause too much visual troubles. Also don't forget to do some AA on those dark grey stripes around the wheel wells.
Speaking of the wheels, did you use that mapping trick as explained on polycount not long ago? Just having 1/8 of the wheel side in the texture and applying each triangle on it.

What's the polycount btw? If it converts nicely to the C1 palette, it could work nicely in there too.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Mustangcop 2010

Post by TTR »

Wooo (not so fund of the carbon fire) but woo pretty cool.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Mustangcop 2010

Post by Harmalarm »

didn't you know I modeled my wife there? She wears this all the time :D

She doesn't mind btw.

Yes I used the trick mentioned on the polycount forum, only for 1/4th of the wheel. I gave it an extra pixel on the edges, but in the render the lines are still visible. I'll make sure they are not there ingame. ;)

polycount;
driver 734
car 1144

I was already planning on doing a c1 version of this baby once it's done.

There are still parts I am not happy with, for example the headlight area and the overall shininess of the body so I will be working on that first.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Mustangcop 2010

Post by Harmalarm »

I decided to take the whole thing back to the drawing board and give it a big spin.

The mustang has transformed to a low poly exercise, with pixel-art textures.

[nmg]img221.imageshack.us/img221/1280/sportscar.jpg[/nmg]

I have to check the colors for compatibillity with the carmageddon 1 palette, and perhaps this topic will move to the c1 section ;) I bet some colours will not work but the base texture setup and unwrapping is good now, so that will make it easy for me to make a new paintjob.

Again I made good use of the wheel texture trick, and the symmetry of the car. Overall the polycount of the copcar has been put down by almost 70% and the driver model more than 40%, which I think is a nice achievement. Taking more of the driver model would take away too much detail for my taste :) I also decided to keep the interior, just because I think it adds a lot of detail.

I still have the older copcar, and will release it, but I wanted to show you guys what I have been doing all this time :p
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Mustangcop 2010

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Sudden turn of events!
I hope you'll keep the blue Mustang for C2 or something.

IMO you took weird directions with the yet lower poly Mustang (don't get me wrong, it's a nice job there :)). Texel density is very low on the shell (but is correct considering the texture size) however the texel dens. on the wheel is much higher (4x?). There are spots/triangles where I don't understand your unwrapping, act. the windshield pilars, personaly I would have used that straight line from the hood rather than using a diagonal line of pixels. Speaking of pixels I guess antialiasing might become unpleasant to the eye at this density but I think you should try to soften the wheel wells (toward darkness). The render makes it look like the texture used on the car there isn't the same as the texture you show. When doing lowpoly and pixelart, really avoid this kind of render because we can't see the real result. Here it looks to me like the way the render makes the texture look is more interesting than the actual texture! The saturation is nice (which doesn't appear in the actual texture). It would be awesome to have subtle highlights here and there with a much brighter tone.
Polycount seems very interesting. How much sides do the wheels have now? IMO you could go for a floating geo planar for both "rim" parts and use an uncapped 6 sided cylinder for the actual tire. Might force you to lower the wheel texel density and won't be able to show off the unwrapping trick there but ress. budget wise it'd be interesting and wouldn't clash with the shell. [texels are part of the ressources too]

Interior seems v. nice. As does the driver, nice polycount too. If you could sever the parts somehow and animate them with bones, that'd be a v. cool C2 ped.

I think I wanted to say something else but it turned to watermelons.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Mustangcop 2010

Post by Harmalarm »

Jow,

I agreed with a lot of points there and have altered the model :)

specially the pixelled lines on the side of the car, and the line toward the roof make a big difference in the new unwrapping method. I also used Tosh's suggestion for the wheels.

[nmg]img638.imageshack.us/img638/193/lowpolymustang.gif[/nmg]

There is still a big difference in pixel density between the car and the model, but I don't want to shrink the driver texture anymore.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Mustangcop 2010

Post by Harmalarm »

I know, I should stop playing with my girls, but they are just too much fun. :D

[nmg]img7.imageshack.us/img7/3794/mustanggirls.gif[/nmg]

I made some skins for both the girls and the car. More soon!
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Mustangcop 2010

Post by TTR »

Gulf colors on a Ford! Always good :)
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Mustangcop 2010

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Well we already talked about your improvements on that mode, however don't forget to update polycount as well.

And I'm totally digging that new skin! (and the babes too :B)
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Mustangcop 2010

Post by Harmalarm »

Heh, thanks.

I decided to make a new skin for the car, in 256x256, as people on the Polycount forum pointed me to the fact that the car has a lower pixel density than the girls.

work in progress thus.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Mustangcop 2010

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Any progress Harm?
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Mustangcop 2010

Post by Harmalarm »

Hey, I seem to have missed that final comment Tosh. Anyway, yes I have made progress on the texture! I've turned it into a 256x256, and gave it a little more detail. I still think it could use some more highlights, or it is missing something. Any suggestions?

[nmg]img262.imageshack.us/img262/8761/mustangdi.jpg[/nmg]

as you can see, the difference is small, but especially the wheels and the dashboard have improved. The blending options in photoshop are better applicable, so you can get more highlights and shadows in specific parts of the body texture.

[nmg]img816.imageshack.us/img816/7248/difference.jpg[/nmg]
Halogaland
turbo bastard

Mustangcop 2010

Post by Halogaland »

Just WAW, I love it, and sincerly, I find it perfect (whereas maybe other will find sthg to modify a bit). I'm unpatient to have this car in C1 (and will have it collision damages?)
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Mustangcop 2010

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Can't wait to see this in C1 seriously.
BTW is the UVW map the exact same between the lower and higher res version of the texture? From our last discussion, it seems so as we talked about different pix packs there. I ask this because I think the Gulf skin looks damn great at that pixel density :cool:
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Mustangcop 2010

Post by Harmalarm »

It's all a single UV mapping for both textures indeed. I also made a Gulf texture for the 256 one. Do you think that would be better to include in the package instead of the orange one?
I could also release a 128 pix package. I will fiddle around with all that as soon as I get this baby in the game correctly ;)
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Mustangcop 2010

Post by Toshiba-3 »

In my eyes, the blue/orange paintjob does the car justice more than the orange one does. You could simply have two pixpacks (one 128², the other one 256²) and deliver several bmps as skins for both res. It would just be a matter to change the name of the pixpack loaded within the text file to change the skin etc.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Mustangcop 2010

Post by TTR »

The Gulf colors do look good on the car, actually they do look good on any car doesn't it ;)

Reminds me of recent picture goodness (me burning the GT40 at Le Mans in GT5):
https://ttr.cwaboard.co.uk/gt5pics/Circui ... 2009_2.jpg

It's coming along nicely Harm, any date in sight when we can destroy it? lol.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Mustangcop 2010

Post by Harmalarm »

well if anything goes right by the end of this week. I hope to get it finished this weekend. I wanted to finish it yesterday, but as usual I managed to find some totally new weirdness in the BMP formats which took me a lot of time... :(

btw, your example screenshot might be good for a next project :p
Halogaland
turbo bastard

Mustangcop 2010

Post by Halogaland »

(*just don't forget my killrider :)*)
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Mustangcop 2010

Post by Harmalarm »

I had a hard time getting the model in the game this weekend. I noticed C1 editing takes up more time than I thought, it's a tedious job. Still very enjoyable once it all works out though And with a little help you soon get rid of the annoyances... :)

so, no release just yet, but I'm almost there. I've decided to go with the default Gulf skin, and I will be adding some extra skins in the pack, including the 128 texture! This means there will be several skin packs, that only have to be renamed to be accessed.

I removed the interior and the driver model from this C1 version. They will be there in the C2 car though, but it's not very common in C1 and the car would not blend in with the rest.

I also decided NOT to have the reflective windscreen. I just figured it didn't suit the model as it should, the windshields are just too present on this one. Besides, look at the way they are now. I think it fits the model very nicely;

[nmg]img5.imageshack.us/img5/5666/gulfmustang.jpg[/nmg]
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Mustangcop 2010

Post by Harmalarm »

POWERHORSE

Finally, after a long time I can proudly present my latest creation. It all started out as a model for C2, changed into a low poly challenge and then shifted towards C1. I really enjoyed creating the skins in the end, especially because the model can handle all the little variations so nicely.

I do intend to bring this thing to C2 again at some point. The driver model and the interior of the car fit C2 very nicely. For now I will focus on a different project, which will hopefully soon see the light of day!

I have included 5 different 256² textures, and a single 128². All changeable by simply renaming the appropriate pix file offcourse :D

Download

[nmg]https://harm.cwaboard.co.uk/images/Carma1mustangskins.jpg[/nmg]
hazardic
motorised death

Mustangcop 2010

Post by hazardic »

damn good skins - but i miss bloody razors and blades lol. or smth like that
Halogaland
turbo bastard

Mustangcop 2010

Post by Halogaland »

I love the yellow THE MOOOOST!!!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Mustangcop 2010

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Awesome work :)
It's very nice to see how once again you managed to come up with a great project, take the best out of it (getting experience in the process) and finish it correctly.
I think that what I like the most here is the fact that you managed to create a model that isn't "stiff" at all. Despite the great lowpolyness the shape stays very fluent, vivid.
Also now there's one more person who's able to create stuff for C1 :)
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Mustangcop 2010

Post by Harmalarm »

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. This model was a great learning experience, although I think in the end it all took me way to long to bring it to this level.

I'm really happy with the alpha channels on the planes of the wheels. They work really well on this model, and C1 seems to handle them really good too. I do expect some rendering errors when there are too many of these in view though...

and yeah, I can mod C1 now, which is great!
The Outlaw
hit n run

Mustangcop 2010

Post by The Outlaw »

Woah man that is an exceptional skin you made there!
I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.

Check who’s online