Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

C1 beta stuff

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

C1 beta stuff

Post by Toshiba-3 »

It's a well known fact that C1 is full of unused content. Here I noticed beta versions of the final tracks. Most are just unfinished models totaly similar to the final tracks, lacking only bits of decor here and there. Others just have a slightly different skin.

However there's one track that has evolved a lot. The snowtrack (not the icy platform) was at first a very pleasant suburbs with houses and buildings. Ramparts, roads, sewers and the church are still in the very same place.

Pic. Three first pics from "Sodburbs", last one from beta Desert track.

I packed Sodburbs and Desert3 and you can download them here if you're interested. To install simply extract stuff then open RACES.TXT and edit a race slot to make it load DESERT3.TXT or SUBURB.TXT. Tracks are ofcourse empty and not very fun. It's just interesting to see a bit of the C1 level design evolution.

Other unused stuff were ED101's JET (models were available and textures hidden into DEZRACE2.PIX), maybe the Reliant Robin in Hell, the network levels (sumo, arena, dderby3, colicium), old anims, a couple bonnet models (for the APC if I recall correctly), the bollocks powerup (not sure if it's enabled ingame or not actually), etc.

I probably won't finish these tracks as they are not interesting. I'll have a look at some more though. There's one called ICELAND which is the earliest beta of one of the Coast tracks. Will have a look at the cities one too.
Anyway it's a bit surprising 'cause there's really a lot of unused beta files and most are 0.5-1MB. Cleaning them would have saved space.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
TTR
Psycho Maniac

C1 beta stuff

Post by TTR »

Well, nothing really significant, other then that Sodburbs doesn't have the hills area and another sewage in a tunnel going up. What i'd what to do is actually converting the ski map to this, with hills and corn on it etc, hehe (but still keeping it dark themed, rather then this happy village). Oh but then it also misses the towers, but meh..still, my idea...
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

C1 beta stuff

Post by Harmalarm »

And there i was thinking C2 was a rushed release, heh. Still nice when you dig through the folders and find stuff like this. The track seems real different there, but I can't say it looks good. That house and the buildings seem really off.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

C1 beta stuff

Post by Razor »

Yeah, the texturing seems really odd on those buildings, they look out of place in the map.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

C1 beta stuff

Post by Toshiba-3 »

These early tracks are indeed totaly horrid.

TTR, you mean like a skin for the skin track then? Not sure seriously, these textures aren't good.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

C1 beta stuff

Post by Razor »

I wonder what the Bollocks powerup was supposed to do... Give your car huge rear wheels?
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

C1 beta stuff

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I think it was supposed to be activated when you drove into the Devil's balls in the Splat Pack Hell track.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

C1 beta stuff

Post by TTR »

HUGE GONADS! I too wonder what it does.
jeff_1amstudios
driver

C1 beta stuff

Post by jeff_1amstudios »

Thats really cool!! :) I always wondered about the suburbs.txt track but never got around to trying to get it working.

I'm interested - what did you do to the files in the package to make them work? The files I had already were all slightly different sizes.
OpenC1 - Open-source Carmageddon engine! http://www.1amstudios.com/projects/openc1
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

C1 beta stuff

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I think I just preprocessed them again because their preprocessing version was too old (and made the game crash with an explicit error message). And made them load using their most related track's text file, modifying the needed ressources (suburbs.pix etc.). For Sodburbs I used one of the snowy town text file as it was based on Sodburbs heh. At first I also thought it was missing a lot of textures (for the houses) but once ingame it all worked fine. I don't understand why actually (they didn't load in PT2).
jeff_1amstudios
driver

C1 beta stuff

Post by jeff_1amstudios »

You dont say :) When I looked at it in OpenCarma, it had exactly the same problem - all the houses were missing textures (apart from some small window/door textures.

I havent looked at why they failed to load - but now im interested to see why!
OpenC1 - Open-source Carmageddon engine! http://www.1amstudios.com/projects/openc1
Mastro 666
motorised death

C1 beta stuff

Post by Mastro 666 »

Desert 3 works fine, but when I try to play SUBURB the game crash to Windows. WHY?

Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

C1 beta stuff

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hey Mastro, I didn't test the beta tracks in 3DFX mode, maybe it makes Sodburbs crash. Did you test with carma95 in hires mode?
Mastro 666
motorised death

C1 beta stuff

Post by Mastro 666 »

Did you test with carma95 in hires mode?
Yes. The game crash down when i change the graphics resolution.

Check who’s online