Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carmageddon 1 XNA / OpenC1

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Post by jeff_1amstudios »

Tonight I made a .fli reader. Fli files are animation files (stored in Data\Anim). Looking through them, I found some funny images that were obviously used during development before being replaced with the final versions.

Enjoy!

OpenC1 - Open-source Carmageddon engine! http://www.1amstudios.com/projects/openc1

Tags:
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Oh nice, 'hidden stuff'! So are these images or animations? These look rather lame though, hehe, except the tracks images. Also good to hear you are getting further with the physics system, did the one you used in the video prove to be not suitable? Because I was under the impression you allready had a physics system to let the cars behave naturally... anyway, it all sounds wonderfull so far. Please do continue!
Doritos
driver

Post by Doritos »

Yup "hidden" images... I've seen them before from browsing around inside the files with carmagedit...
it will be interesting to see what new things an be put in to this when its finished. (hopefully a better add on system for tacks and cars)

Any way this is quite interesting to watch as it develops cant wait for the beta :)
jeff_1amstudios
driver

@Harm - no, the physics system that I used for the demo video just wasn't up to the job. Too slow, and too hard to get feeling right.

They are .fli animations, but those ones are all single frame animations (so images really)

@Doritos - yes, being able to put new things in is a big goal. To be able to easily override textures (e.g. otis.pix) by creating an Otis folder and sticking high-res artwork in there would be awesome :)

And adding new cars and tracks I agree should be easy too. Maybe new folders called Mods\Tracks, Mods\Peds, Mods\Powerups, Mods\Cars, where you just stick new items, without having to edit any other files.

I made the .fli viewer because some track Funks use fli files as animation (like the Sci animation in the football arena)
OpenC1 - Open-source Carmageddon engine! http://www.1amstudios.com/projects/openc1
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

I really cant wait for this, Jeff. You're doing a great job.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Errol
Toxic Ranger

Post by Errol »

Jeff, any chance you could hook me up with the physX sample when you're happy with the feel? I found something called PhysX.NET but haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

My attempts to code my own physics library sucked balls. I got gravity and newtons 3rd law working but when I tried to apply other forces the whole thing went mad. :|

I sort of went off on a tangent to Carma 2 XNA and I'm porting maps from other games now. Such is the life of someone with an attention span of a 3 year old ;)

-Errol
:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Hi,

Yep, physX.Net is what I plan to use. Its also what the demo I was talking about uses. Its here: http://www.spieleplanet.eu/hchrome.php

Its not perfect (physics is really hard, right!?) but its one of the best physx vehicle demos ive seen, and definitely the best using physx.net.

Figuring the crush data out was really tricky. I havent got it all, but i think I know enough to have a go at implementing it in code. If you want more detailed info on it let me know.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hello Jeff, any news with this project? I know a lot of us are really looking forward for this!
BTW if you need a test track to compare physics between the original C1 and your work just tell me what you need and I'll make it.
Hope to hear from you soon :tup:
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Hey, ive been itching to get back to it, but been too busy on other projects. Im still working on the physx integration for the vehicle physics. I'll record another video later this week :)

Im using Maim street as my test track because I know it pretty well :) But what do you use to make a C1 track? Plaything2 just dies horribly on my pc.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Cool to hear some news :] Eager to see the progress!
To make a C1 track I use 3dsMax and PT2 yes. PT2 is indeed very tricky to get working right. There's a modified and more stable version on my carma site but it still needs the color depth to be 16bit. I also use an hex editor ofcourse and carmagedit to create the pix pack and material files.

Just out of curiosity, could your work be cross platform in the end or is there a lot of windows only dependencies?
Quelbane
pedestrian

Post by Quelbane »

Here I am doing the exact same thing that Jeff is doing. Oh well...

Interested to see some updates as I am fiddling around with XNA myself.

I was traversing the path of conversion from the infamous .dat/.act/.mat file to a more standard say .obj file. Interested to see if any of you know of a means of doing this?

Hope all is well.
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Cool :) XNA is pretty good for playing around with this kind of stuff. How far along are you? I know I said I'd post a demo soon, but I haven't had any time to work on it, except for the last couple of days!

Getting back into it now
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Great to hear from you again, was kinda worried it was over hehe
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Yep, ive been off the project for ages, busy with work and SharePod.

Ive worked on it the last couple of nights, and now im *fairly* happy with the vehicle physics. Fairly meaning it still needs tweaking but works well enough to be able to drive around the track in a fun way.

Last night I started hooking up the car models to the physics model (previously ive been using a box with wheels), and using the real wheel positions and sizes. So for example Dumpy does a bit of a wheelie when starting to accelerate, and Firestorm is really hard to drive :)

Im on holiday for the next week, so probably wont be able to keep going on it till next week.

Does anyone know where the powerups are stored for each map? They dont seem to be in the race .txt file
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

But they are:
In C1, powerups are just static peds with an award. So they are in the peds section of the race text file.
Look for this kind of text chunks (the one with less coords/vectors):

Code: Select all

// Pedestrian number 144
129                // Ref num
2                // Number of instructions
1                // Initial instruction
point
-53.399,-11.524,161.949
reverse
The ref number can be linked to PEDESTRN.TXT, powerups start at ref num 100.
I don't know how they are linked to the actual powerup award though.
Maybe the linkages (specific ref num > specific powerup) are hardcoded?
jeff_1amstudios
driver

lol - I wouldnt have guessed that :) I would have probably got to implementing pedestrians and torn my hair out for a while wondering what these unknown pedestrians were!

Edit: So is it possible to have a powerup which has a normal ped-path so that it runs away? :P That would be sweet

Edit2: Actually when I really think about it, powerups being in the peds file is kind of familiar from old C1 editing days :)
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

[quote]So is it possible to have a powerup which has a normal ped-path so that it runs away?[/quote]
I guess..? Nobody ever tried I think, or that was a decade ago then. But sounds totaly logical imo.
*imagines having to chase powerups*
D3ads
mechanic

Post by D3ads »

Too bad you can't do that in C2.
Killer11
hit n run

Post by Killer11 »

Jeff, have you ever thought of making this project opensource or trying to port it to Linux? I can tell from experience that such a step can really revive peoples interest in games and software that is being treated this way. Making a working Linux port can attract a lot of player and coders that COULD eventually lead to the new Carmageddon game that i guess the entire community desires VERY much.
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Couple of new screenshots finally. These show the car models sitting on the PhysX chassis & wheels.

The white box around the car is the bounding box. In the first one its not centered correctly, dont know why right now :)

[img]http://www.1amstudios.com/games/carmage ... physx1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.1amstudios.com/games/carmage ... physx2.jpg[/img]

Killer, yes I would like to opensource it, but it needs a lot more work before its at a point where more than 1 person could work usefully on it. Linux support would be cool for the future :)
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Nice screen shots!
What is the yellow box/oject we can see under both cars?
IMO both bboxes seem a bit maladjusted. In C1 these bboxes are centered around the origin (just like the meshes) and then use the same Actor offset as the one used for the main mesh.

At some point, a linux port would be awesome indeed!
I can't wait for the first demo and starting giving feedback :B
jeff_1amstudios
driver

hey,

good spotting, those yellow boxes were for debugging the center of mass calculation :)

Yep, im going back to have another look at those bboxes. I am reading them from the car.txt Mechanics Section and think I translate them with the actor offset but will check.

For tonight: Hook up proper wheel models, implement a handbrake, simple car shadow if I get time.
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Got the wheel models hooked up, the boundingbox issue sorted (I wasn't centering it correctly) and reading a few more settings from the car.txt file.

[img]http://www.1amstudios.com/games/carmage ... physx3.jpg[/img]
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Hey, nice work there Jeff. I am really interested in the actual physics behaviour of the cars. You were talking about the crush data in your earlier posts, does this mean that the cars already deform on impact in this new engine? Or is this still something that needs to be implemented.

I honestly cannot wait to test this. The new phisics might give carmageddon a whole new feel to it, and the speed and visibillity improvements might be cool te play around with :p
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

What to think about higher resolution textures, engine better capable of having higher 3D models...:uho::zomig:
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Hey,

I worked how the crush data is basically represented in the car.txt. At the time I had a quick go at implementing it, but didn't get far enough down the track for a worthwhile screenshot (it just looked like it had some missing panels!). Actually implementing it for real involves lots of work around detecting the type/postion/force/direction/etc. of a collision with a wall/car before the fun of moving the verticies around according to the car.txt. So short answer is no, not currently implemented :)

@ttr - high-res textures, definitely :) I really want to make it easy to drop new textures into folders and have the engine use them instead of the default pixmap files. I think I've given this example before somewhere, but take otis.pix. To re-texture it, create a folder called otis in the pixelmap folder and stick whatever size textures you want into it.

Also addon cars could just be placed into Addons\Cars folder and get picked up automatically.

In terms of model complexity, there will be no limit except what your graphics card can handle.
Killer11
hit n run

Post by Killer11 »

What about detachables and other stuff like that? Are you planing to implement those later on?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Great news all around.
What about texture transparency? I guess the engine will support another type of transparency than the palette ID based one? I think that the limitations on this side were part of the C1 experience (when you wanted to put a car in there at least). The Splat Pack included another feature that allowed textures to be transparent at a certain percentage (the whole texture though), materials ID with a prefix like this: W/50MATERIALNAME.MAT have a 50% transparent rendering. Can be seen in the Castle (the windows).
I can't stop thinking that Carmageddon gaming might become ala Quake1: just have the original ressources and drop a new engine in there and voila you can mod stuff easily.

Killer11: Detachables? you mean non-cars?
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Non-cars, haven't yet. definitely on the list. Im looking forward to that :)

Tosh, thanks for the detail. Do you have a list of what else the actor/material names signify?

I read in the "track making tutorial" for C2 somewhere that the ampersand means something, or if the name starts with a number that signifies the material modifier (bumpy etc)?

How about links for track making/car making tutorials? They can be really useful.

I would like to support all the splatpack stuff, and yes, when overriding textures with PNG files, their transparency could be used.
Killer11
hit n run

Post by Killer11 »

Well by detachables i meant detachables like in C2. I do like the original carmageddon as it wasn't as rushed as c2 was and thus it was more complete than c2, but the thing I miss when playing C2 is cars actually dropping parts and having real 3d interiors. I thought that later on, after original Carmageddon functionality is done, functionality from c2 could be introduced(such as 3d peds and detachables)
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Got car shadows going :) Need to work on the blurry textures in the middle-distance next :)

[img]http://www.1amstudios.com/games/carmage ... physx4.jpg[/img]
D3ads
mechanic

Post by D3ads »

Is it possible to modifly the shadows so they match the car?
jeff_1amstudios
driver

how do you mean? like include the shadow cast by the spike?
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

I think he means instead of just square shadows, make it so they conform to the shape of the vehicle. If that makes sense..
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Killer11
hit n run

Post by Killer11 »

realistic shadows he means

Check who’s online