Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carmageddon 1 XNA / OpenC1

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

He means..oh no lol don't want to be another who answers that question :uho::mmh:

Anyway, i think Jeff wants this it to be a more direct C1 remake and then from that upgrade it or soso

Tags:
D3ads
mechanic

Post by D3ads »

[quote=Razor]I think he means instead of just square shadows, make it so they conform to the shape of the vehicle. If that makes sense..[/quote]
Yes thats exactly what I mean, sorry for not making that more clear.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Prefixes for material identifiers: !!, !, >, 0-9, A\
Prefixes for actor identifiers: &, &£

Actor's identifiers
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
& simply tells the preprocessing function not to merge this actor with the rest of the track mesh. Mostly because said actor will be animated afterward or will be a noncar.
example:
&CAR0001.ACT (names are still changed by the preprocessing, a nummer sufix is added)
&81F0056.ACT (this is a noncar, first two digits tell the noncar txt ref)

is another kind of gameplay object: the powerups. Nothing is needed beside naming it correctly. This is only in C2 has C1 defines powerups inside the text file.
example:
&£680030.ACT (two first digits tell the powerup ref, and then the nummer sufix)

It's possible to animate powerups and noncars with a groove too.

Material identifiers
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
!! and ! are used to make a material nonsolid. However if the material is used on a horizontal mesh, going through it will activate the default sfx volume, water. !! is always used with water/sea/pool materials but I don't know whether there's a difference with ! or not.
example:
!!WATER2.MAT, !!ICEFLO.MAT
!VINES.MAT

> is quite unknown and might only exist in C2. It's the same as above but it won't trigger the default sfx volume when you go through it (when applied on a horizontal mesh I mean).
example:
>CLOUDS2.MAT

0-9 activate a material modifier on materials. If there's no number (CRANE.MAT for example) the default material modifier will be used. 0 (0GRASS2.MAT) triggers the first material modifier after the default one, 1 the second, and so on.
example:
0MUD3.MAT
5SNOPATH.MAT
8GRAVEL.MAT

A\ is probably only effective in C1 (as C2 uses alphachannels anyway). The A letter can be replaced by any letter actually, the \ trigger must be placed as the second character and then followed by two digits telling the percentage of transparency. I know C2 has known materials like R\75GLS.MAT but I doubt it really relies on the percentage defined in the material identifier, it probably just uses a generic texture stored into REG or PIXELMAP (win.pix or glass.win etc idk).
It's a Splat Pack only feature, bringing a Splat Pack track into C1 without SP won't render these textures as transparent.
It seems like the names are based on previously existing material identifiers but with the /## added into them like so: FLAMES.MAT > F/25ES.MAT
example:
W\50OW1.MAT
I\50GLASS.MAT
T\75NSEJ.MAT
R\50GLS.MAT
A\75OOF.MAT
but also !\75LAME.MAT (nonsolid flame, being able to keep the ! or 0-9 is probably why they told the parser to look for the \ in second position)

@Jeff: Are you currently applying texture filtering? I hope there will be an option to turn it off :]
I can try to list the groove and funk keycodes too but it'd be harder to be exhaustive about the groove/funk chunks syntax. There are very few C1 tutorials actually, nothing about C1 track making at all, and it's been more than a year that I started a C1 car making tutorial but it gets harder to explain with all the hex stuff to do so I kinda dropped the idea. There are the notes on my blog too but I guess you already read them.:
https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/blog/index ... 1-PIX-DATA
https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/blog/index ... m-lighting
This however also applies in C1, Actor rendering modes:
https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/blog/index ... ring-modes
but I wonder whether C1 supports polygons rendering as C2 does or simply turns everything back into triangles.
Bunch of other C1 basic tutorials there too: http://coffey.polygonized.com/tutorial.html

@Killer11 & D3ads: if we get rid of the oldschool look, it won't be C1 anymore right? ;)
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Killer11
hit n run

Post by Killer11 »

Well Tosh, however much i like Carma 1, it's still a game that i have played enough of. So I and a lot of other people would like to see this project eventually turn into a next gen carmageddon game, combining the best of all existing carma games and adding more. There's a big vacuum for this type of game right now and a community made Carma 4 would easily fill it. I'm not rushing though, first things first we need original carmageddon functionality upon which carma 2 stuff should be added later and then eventually stuff like realistic shadows, normal mapping, particles and so on and on.
Though for this project to get that far it should be open sourced so that other people can join jeff in development.

Carmageddon is one of those games that BEG to be reintroduced to the gaming world, just as Transport Tycoon Deluxe was, these games have three things in common, they were both great in their genre, had awesome replay value and both are old games, heck TTD is from 1994. And I do believe that if TTD turned into a modern multiplayer capable game that tens of thousands of people are playing each day and still holds true to it's root even though it's features have increased by atleast 10 times, then carmageddon can go the same route too. The key to OpenTTDs succes was the fact that it was free and it was opensource, thus there were always people developing it and people playing it.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

TBH if a fan nextgen Carmageddon was so needed/possible it'd be already in development.
The people behind TTD aren't the same as those behind Carmageddon. The company that owns the rights of the game doesn't care about it anymore and so that guy who started OpenTTD had his hands free. SCi isn't like that at all. Just look at Errol's mod: he barely had the time to create a track and a few things that he got some cease&desist in his mailbox :]
Also I remember a lot of little projects here and there trying to create a nextgen Carmageddon on moddable engines, they never get finished. Probably because a carmageddon-type game isn't that much interesting after all and doesn't attract developpers. YOU really want a nextgen Carmageddon. And a few of us too ofcourse. But not so much out there. Else SCi wouldn't have canned the C4 project or at least someone would have tried to fill that vacuum.
My bet is that nobody will do better than C1 & C2 carmageddon-wise.

Just look at this project correctly: Jeff wants to do an open C1, make it work on modern systems easily, maybe crossplatform, and add some features besides all the original ones. Further I guess it might be intersting to have a proper and modern netcode, but it is not the time yet.
The aim isn't to create a nextgen Carmageddon engine, I'm sure the project should be started totaly differently than Jeff started it, it would require a lot lot more work, even with many other people on the project. All that knowing that there's a near 100% chances that SCi forces the project to stop.

This is "just" an open C1 project. It is enough in my eyes. What's the point of a nextgen Carmageddon that doesn't feel like the real thing, gameplay being the same, when you can have the real Carmageddon working properly. Adding detachables and 3D peds, this is C2 then. Making an open C2 is already way more difficult: deformation engine, lighting system, peds animations, much more features. Let alone turning it into a 2009 nextgen game, that's insane.

This is all just my opinion and I don't want to reply instead of Jeff.
Finishing the openC1 is a good enough project, no need to hassle Jeff about adding nonC1 features. If someone wants to start a nextgen Carmageddon on this project, I guess that person will be able to create a fork when the project goes opensource.

Personaly, I'd like to see this openC1 as what Fitzquake is to the original Quake: an open source port of the game fixing bugs, removing limitations, adding a few conveniences for modders and users, but still being like the original game. Something simple that works.
Killer11
hit n run

Post by Killer11 »

That is what i said that first things first a straight port is what is needed and i never told that jeff should do everything alone. that is insane, that is why you do opensource, so that you have a chance of someone joining in to help developing effort. Also if jeff doesn't decompile c1 and somehow use it's code to make this game then all he needs to do is change the name and use user created models to test things, SCi can do nothing about it then as he breaks no law at all, it's just HIS stuff and none of theirs. ReactOS is done this way and is Microsoft bitching about it? No they are not because even if it does exactly what windows xp does it's still made from scratch and thus legal.

What Errol did was actually breaking ip laws i think. As using names and designs from the original game is actually ripping off the authors. Heck if they wanted they could make Econo remove all the eagle and hawk remakes he has on his site as they too are infriging on SCi's rights.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Alright, I ofcourse agree with your points and all, but I feel like your enthusiasm and my pessimism do the difference in our point of views.

Anyway, the important point in my eyes is: so far Jeff never told he was interested leading this project towards a nextgen Carmageddon engine at any point. Ofcourse such a project wouldn't be done alone and would be started after the initial project is completed. But seeing Jeff only wanted to do an openC1, I don't think what he will have achieved will motivate anybody else to create a fork aiming at a featureful Carma engine because there still will be a huge lot of work, implying things could be started from scratch again for the best.

If I had to be as optimistic as you, I'd say... hell yeah let's complete the project afterward with nextgen features, ala DarkPlaces (I'm not especially looking forward for this, but it'd be an interesting project). With existing libraries I'm sure it'd be "easy" for a coder to implement everything you suggested in your previous messages. But... will there be someone to do that? And will that someone (or team) be able to recreate the right Carmageddon feeling? Won't it be another mirage?

Now that I think about it, so far there's no large scale project from the Carmageddon community that got completed...

BTW why do you think there's so much people looking forward for a nextgen Carmageddon? Everytime I read/see people remembering Carmageddon, it looks like a good part of nostalgia but no one really seems to be willing to play such an oldschool arcade game again. Even on nowadays handelds, people would be complaining about how repetitive it is. I think such games can't exist anymore. We are just still there because we enjoy modding the game and see our creations in such a gameplay?!
Killer11
hit n run

Post by Killer11 »

Part of the unwillingness to play is due to the game being not easy to actually run on todays systems, people who run it are usually people who know how to use things like dos box or other software and these are not too common among pc users. Also the whole Linux port idea is what could bring a lot of players as there aren't many good games that work natively on Linux.

And about cwa never completing a project - well if we keep not doing things because in the past we failed then we will never get anything done. Hope should die last.

Also Quake by modern standards is a linear repetative game just as doom is, but both have good remakes and i don't know about quake but Skulltag for doom has quite some players despite the fact how simple the game itself is.
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Post by jeff_1amstudios »

Tosh, thanks for the actor/material info. Just what I was looking for! I had guessed the &-prefix, but was wondering how the water was marked as non-solid. Now the car dives into the water in front of the stadium :). Yes texture-filtering was enabled in the last few shots, but i think it looks better off :)

My interest is in re-implementing the Carmageddon 1/SP engine in modern code. I'd prefer to keep the same look and feel (with options for high-res textures and models) and add mod-ability and features.

Once I've got to the point where thats all implemented (and theres still loads of work ahead), I'm quite happy for that to be taken and C2 or other 'next-gen' features added. But its likely that I won't be doing it :)

As tosh says, even if we reach 100% C1 implementation, thats a huge way away even from c2, let alone a really modern engine.

One option I've been randomly thinking about is the xbox360. Theres a pretty big market for indie/xna games there. I know I wouldn't be allowed to put it up there myself, but maybe Stainless would be keen to support the idea past SCi? I have no idea, but it would be cool to be able to play C1 in the lounge :)
OpenC1 - Open-source Carmageddon engine! http://www.1amstudios.com/projects/openc1
Killer11
hit n run

Post by Killer11 »

Forget it jeff. The LAST thing you need is SCi here. When C1 engine is redone, make sure to rename it to something else that would still be in spirit of carmageddon and then together with the community accumulate content like cars and tracks and just go indie with it. Actually I suggest renaming the project as soon as possible, SCi is quite happy to send C&D letters.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

I thnk you should keep it called Carmageddon, if you get anything from SCi, then just change the name then.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
jeff_1amstudios
driver

So SCi is pretty crazy about protecting their old copyrights?
OpenC1 - Open-source Carmageddon engine! http://www.1amstudios.com/projects/openc1
Killer11
hit n run

Post by Killer11 »

It looks like so. You could name it something like Crashocalypse. just don't touch "Carmageddon" and "Carpocalypse Now" as they are trademarked
D3ads
mechanic

Post by D3ads »

[quote=Toshiba]@Killer11 & D3ads: if we get rid of the oldschool look, it won't be C1 anymore right? ;)[/quote]
You have a very good point.
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Another video finally :)

This one shows a load of hard work integrating PhysX. Its not perfect, but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Tosh - texture filtering is turned off this time :)

check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgQstmM4EJA
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Looks very nice.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Killer11
hit n run

Post by Killer11 »

Indeed. Great work!
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Wow Jeff, those physics look real good! Amazing work so far. I can see the car bouncing up and down nicely, crashing looks good. I like how the car can flip over when you oversteer. The mass and behaviour of the car match very well. All in all this video really shows you are doing a great job! Pleas keep it coming

thumbs up mate :tup:
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Thanks guys :)

I've got noncars working, so can now smash lampposts, crossing signs, trees etc. Haven't yet implemented the bending part (eg lampposts should bend before breaking), but hopefully its not too hard to do.

Once ive finished that part, ill do another video, then next up is hooking up a real engine/gearbox model, then animations :)
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Wow, pretty speedy work. Nice one.
D3ads
mechanic

Post by D3ads »

You know I think SCI tried to hard to get popularity that they lost the one thing every one loved I know they could do better than TDR I really think they should put out a revamp that proves that they can still make a game worth playing.
Nice video.
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Anyone know which pixmap contains the speedo image in this screenshot?

[img]http://www.williamwilling.com/blog/pict ... geddon.jpg[/img]

The only one I can find by digging around the pixmaps I have is really lo-res (64x48x8\fonts\tacho.pix) :(
Doritos
driver

Post by Doritos »

i think i found one diggin around in the fli files but its been a while
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

It's 64x48x8\pixelmap\hirestch.pix!
Working on the hud? :]
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Tosh, your a genius :)

Yeah, getting the motor and gearbox hooked up means I need a rev counter :)
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Interesting interesting. I was playing c1 the other day and then had another look at your video. The movement of the car is pretty much the same thing. I like that. :)
Good luck getting the hud up.
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Ok,
Grooves are done.
Funks are half done (fli/roll funks implemented, havent done slither, throb or frames yet)

Will take another video tonight :)

Im a bit gutted, after spending more time that I should have getting grooves working properly, (Ivans swinging motor which has a swinging blade really pissed me off for a while!) it turns out only a few cars and tracks actually use them :(
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

nice work Jeff. I was thinking, are there no grooves used in any of the tracks? Rotating signs, flapping doors?
jeff_1amstudios
driver

There are some, but not many. Most of the track grooves are those 4-legged cranes in Indust and Mine races. Coast has those floating yachts, and CityB3 has a rotating crane.

Anyway, heres the latest video. It shows grooves and funks on both cars and tracks. Also shows some signs being pushed over. That part doesnt work like the original game yet, where they should bend a certain amount before detaching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i36fbuWoSuI
timmy76
motorised death

Post by timmy76 »

:D that looks brilliant cant wait to play it. keep up the very good work (Y)
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Wow, I really want to play this. You're doing a great job with this!
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

This is great work Jeff. I can see more of the game coming to life with these animations. Ivans blade seems like a complicated one indeed. Guess it are two animations working together?

The tacho is also working?

Do you already have ideas about the ai?
In principle this shouldn't be too hard, as all they are doing is either following a path for the race or simply keep on running in to you when they are agressive. And when they are far away from the race path they either attack you or respawn at the path when you are away from them. But that is just my guess. Theoretically it sounds relatively simple. I wonder how it turns out in practice... :s

there is an interesting video on the ai's behaviour on youtube; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVS1HSvpLdg
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

I remember seeing that video a long time ago.

I love how the guy seemingly refuses to say the Master cheat code. :)
jeff_1amstudios
driver

great video, thanks :) Yeah he says 'when you type in the.. uh.. master cheat code' ...

i've started posting carmaXNA progress to my blog, but will post here too whenever I make an update.

http://blog.1amstudios.com
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Nice, I've bookmarked it.

Check who’s online